Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel sending unit ???

4 posters

Go down

Fuel sending unit ??? Empty Fuel sending unit ???

Post by ndnboy Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:28 pm

well, the sending unit crapped out again, same gromet everytime, seems like the gas warps it which causes it to leake.

Got a new one to replace it and now Im having trouple with it leaking around the o ring/ lockin ring, have drained the tank and resituated the o-ring gasket 3 times now with no luck.

Can I use some sort of gasket forming sealant around the tank/sending unit? Will that work to help seal the pieces together and stop the leake?

anyone have suggestions??

the sending unit pushes up against the tank with an o ring/gasket in between and they are pressed in by a locking ring which you twist on to its stop, seems like im not getting a good seal from the o ring, the locking ring goes on snug so i dont know what else to try........

Thanks

Fuel sending unit ??? Fuelsendunit
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 4503
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Fuel sending unit ??? Empty Re: Fuel sending unit ???

Post by 05RedDevil Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:53 am

Sorry about the problem. Sounds like you've been troubleshooting this for a while.
Is there anyway you could get a heavier duty FSU so you stop having issues with the same grommet ?
As for the o-ring not getting a good seal, I've never had issues with adding RTV to help seal. Also, when you re-install it, it is getting secured evenly and firm enough to compress the o-ring, right?
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:51 am

Def feels like theres enough pressure to compress o ring evenly, someone on MF suggested getting a new locking ring when u switch out FSU's so I will try that next, just tried for the 4th time and same SH*T happened agained, house smells like gas once more..............
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:23 pm

That ring is a bitch on the classics. Main reason for leaking is 1. dirty mating surface, 2. slippage/unseating of the ring while installing the lock ring. Most of teh time it will bind and then unseat.

Best way I found was to clean the surface really good than put some petrolium jelly on the ring so it slides nice when you tighten the lock ring.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 95NYstang Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:34 pm

goop might help, it's resistant to gasoline and oil

95NYstang
GT
GT

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:11 pm

update from last weekend, got the unit in and its working Smile

Tried the jel but I think Dad hit the issue by using the pliers on the "ears" that hold the locking ring in place, seems to help hold it on snug. New unit has a thicker gromet so hopefully that helps prevent the same issue again. If the weather holds hope to take her for a spin to Kent Island sunday morn....
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down