Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hoodliner ideas please

+2
BlakJak87
VegasGT
6 posters

Go down

hoodliner ideas please Empty hoodliner ideas please

Post by VegasGT Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:01 pm

So i have this plan (and i know thats how it starts lol), I like my stock hood with the stock hood scoop but I want it to be functional.

So Im considering removing the scoop, cutting a hole in the hood just like you would with a shaker system, then reinstalling the scoop (and i havent decided if Ill make a functional screen for it or just leave it open yet at the scoop opening.

The question I have is since Im moving to phoenix for a year or 2 where its 120degrees in the summer hoodliner ideas please 891556 what the purpose of the hood insulation is? Is it just for sound or to keep heat in or out? And what if I just remove it all together? Because the shaker system comes with that nifty trim ring to hold the liner up and i wont have that. Also is the underside of the hood painted under the liner?

Any thoughts/opinions/ideas would be welcome
VegasGT
VegasGT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

hoodliner ideas please Empty Re: hoodliner ideas please

Post by BlakJak87 Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:30 pm

I took my hoodliner off. I think what happens is that, in the event of an engine fire, the plastic tabs holding the liner up melt and the liner falls on the fire to smother it...

The hood is mostly painted underneath, but right over where the hood scoop is, it's kinda gold in color.

I was thinking about doing the same thing as you...
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Not sure about the headliner but I've heard some horror stories about making the hood scoops functional. People do it and then the scoop flies off the hood at higher speeds. Not sure if your body style would have the same issue but I hear that from the New Edges. Just my 2 cents! GLuck!
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3597
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by VegasGT Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:14 pm

pikuoff wrote:Not sure about the headliner but I've heard some horror stories about making the hood scoops functional. People do it and then the scoop flies off the hood at higher speeds. Not sure if your body style would have the same issue but I hear that from the New Edges. Just my 2 cents! GLuck!

hmmmm well thats definatly good to know. I guess Ill be using some fiberglass resin when I reinstall it if thats the case. thanks.

and to the other reply from blakjack was the "gold in the center" was the gold where it would be cut out completely with the hole for the scoop or would there be leftover??
and who did your red stripes they look good
VegasGT
VegasGT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Off the net:

Hoodliners are meant to serve a number of crucial safety functions.
Without an automotive hoodliner, it is very likely the hood of the car
would quickly overheat and become warped, or the paint would melt. A
good hoodliner keeps the hood cool and can also protect the car's
engine from overheating by drawing heat away from the engine and into
the core of the hoodliner material. Possibly the most important
function, a hoodliner is designed to protect drivers and passengers in
the event of an engine fire. When an engine catches fire, a set of
bolts underneath the hood are designed to melt quickly, which releases
the hoodliner onto the source of the fire. A fire-retardant hoodliner
can smother a fire, giving a passenger more time to exit the vehicle.

I don't think you will gain much functionality opening up the hood under the scoop. Sure, you will be forcing cooler air in the engine compartment while moving, but without channeling the air to the air filter or a means of extracting the heat, it won't be of much use. I don't know how the scoops are attached, so I have no idea if doing so will increase the chance of it coming off. The underside of our hoods are painted, but the area where the scoop is located isn't sprayed completely and the light colored primer shows. I removed my liner and the lack of paint wasn't bad enough for me to put it back on. The heat did affect the hood as far as the hood being the first area that the wax coverage would decline, but it never harmed the paint.

Here is a pic of mine from last July with the hood liner removed.
hoodliner ideas please 2666684156_c93f7277e4
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by VegasGT Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:50 pm

wow john all that buildup i thought you were going to say its bad then at the very bottom after all those precautions you casually ad "I removed my liner and the lack of paint wasn't bad enough for me to put it back on" lol. If id known you already did it i would have just called you in the first place lol. thanks for the advice.

and I was actually planning on using fiberglass (I worked with it alot as a kid) to build a mold under the hood to push the air in just like on after market hoods (but i was probably gonna do it sometime after i cut the hood and finish it simply because im lazy :-)
VegasGT
VegasGT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:11 am

LOL! You're welcome, Ron!
BTW...the O/R H on yet by any chance???
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by 05RedDevil Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 am

When I got my Cervinis hood, there was no replacement liner to match up with it so I'm bare underneath. I drive it hard (as you may have noticed) and I have no issues with the heat bubbling the paint or anything
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by blownsmoke Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:41 am

i'm with 05reddevil.my liner had to be removed because of clearence issues when my s/c was installed.i havent had any issues with heat affecting the paint.i talked to ford roush and the dealership it was insalled at and they all said it would not effect the finish on top or below the hood.i notice alot of cars out there w/o the liner.and that was pretty informative john.thanks
blownsmoke
blownsmoke
GT
GT

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Your welcome, guys hoodliner ideas please 10498
I've also had no hood liner with the Steeda cowl hood since early March (10K miles ago affraid "driving whore" as I have been called hoodliner ideas please 9374 ) and the paint is fine on both sides of the hood as well, but is fairly well vented, so I haven't even thought of putting a hood liner back on hoodliner ideas please 10498
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakJak87 Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:11 pm

VegasGT wrote:
pikuoff wrote:Not sure about the headliner but I've heard some horror stories about making the hood scoops functional. People do it and then the scoop flies off the hood at higher speeds. Not sure if your body style would have the same issue but I hear that from the New Edges. Just my 2 cents! GLuck!

hmmmm well thats definatly good to know. I guess Ill be using some fiberglass resin when I reinstall it if thats the case. thanks.

and to the other reply from blakjack was the "gold in the center" was the gold where it would be cut out completely with the hole for the scoop or would there be leftover??
and who did your red stripes they look good

The gold does take up a lot of area under the hood. You could spray paint the underhood and get it just fine, but it is fairly noticeable. You can easily take off the hoodliner without damaging the plastic clips to get an idea of what it would look like.

As far as the paint issue goes, I've heard of many many Stang owners removing their liner with no adverse effects to the paint or the fitment of the hood. If you lived in Death Valley, CA, maybe you'd have to be careful.

Thanks for the compliment on the stripes. I actually laid them down myself over the course of a few days.
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by VegasGT Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:16 pm

kooldawg6 wrote:LOL! You're welcome, Ron!

lol yea I forgot to tell you... i did put the h on and it was still crazy loud so after LE "suggested" to me that I quiet it down I took off my pypes axle backbacks and traded them to a friend for his stock mufflers and it sounds fine "actually kinda like its cammed...dont know why". Some still say its loud (I like it) but its ggod enough for LE right now. when i move to arizona though im going to get some more axlebacks to throw on there cause they are not nazi's there.

I am looking for some ideas on axlebacks though, I want the deepest possible note with the most bass in it. thinking about flowmasters but not sure.
VegasGT
VegasGT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakJak87 Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:47 pm

VegasGT wrote:

lol yea I forgot to tell you... i did put the h on and it was still crazy loud so after LE "suggested" to me that I quiet it down I took off my pypes axle backbacks and traded them to a friend for his stock mufflers and it sounds fine "actually kinda like its cammed...dont know why". Some still say its loud (I like it) but its ggod enough for LE right now. when i move to arizona though im going to get some more axlebacks to throw on there cause they are not nazi's there.

I am looking for some ideas on axlebacks though, I want the deepest possible note with the most bass in it. thinking about flowmasters but not sure.

I just put an o/r H on too, and I'm looking at getting some FRPP/Borla Stingers. I think they sound awesome with the o/r H.
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by VegasGT Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:36 am

BlakJak87 wrote:
VegasGT wrote:

I just put an o/r H on too, and I'm looking at getting some FRPP/Borla Stingers. I think they sound awesome with the o/r H.

really...let me know when you get it and ill drive out to you to hear it. or ill even help you put'em on if you want a hand.
VegasGT
VegasGT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:39 am

Told you it would be crazy loud! I ran that O/R H with the Flows and the MACs. I preferred the MACs by a slight margin (slightly deeper tone), but either were borderline obnoxious at WOT.

Any update on what the plans are for the scoop?
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down