Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Body Line Questions

3 posters

Go down

Body Line Questions Empty Body Line Questions

Post by Lax07 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:53 pm

My car since owning has been hit twice while parked. The first time the car was hit on the rear bumper and clipped the back quarter panel. The shop was never able to line up the rear quarter panel perfect. When looking at it from back to front it looks like it lines up perfect. When you stand where you would for the gas cap you can see the panel comes up a tad and it doesn't line up perfect. Should I body shop be able to line that up perfect? or since the metal was clipped will it always be a little off?

Second my car was clipped on the front bumper, just paint scratches. I got the car back today from the shop and noticed one side of the hood has more space on the left side than the right (just a tad I'm talking maybe 1 MM). Do you have to loosen or remove the front quarter panels to take off the bumper or put it back on? The hood lines up perfectly down the center of the car though.
Lax07
Lax07
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Back to top Go down

Body Line Questions Empty Re: Body Line Questions

Post by alkemist Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Wow, sorry to hear about your luck. If you're having issues, I would take it back to the shop ASAP instead of trying to fix it on your own.

The quality of work all depends on the shop reputation and if they have experience with Mustangs. If they are not familiar with them, it will be much more difficult to repair it like new.

I had to fight the body shop to get them to fit my rear bumper on somewhat decent.
alkemist
alkemist
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2010-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lax07 Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Well I doubt many shops have a lot of experience with 2010 mustangs. It sounds like the rear bumper is very hard to line up, but I don't think the fender should be that hard. They said they did the best they could with the bumper but the fender still doesn't match up from one angle. I almost feel like I should go to a different shop and pay $100 to get them to realign the fender and bumper. I've already had them try to fix it once. I moved on and now its bugging me again (it was hit in novemeber)
Lax07
Lax07
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by alkemist Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 pm

oh ok. yeah, thought it was recent. I know the 05-09 bumpers are extremely tough to align.

Unfortunately I don't have a shop to recommend. The one I went to did a decent job for the damage I did, except for the rear bumper, but they were a PITA and extremely rude.

If the alignment gets under your skin, it would be worth it IMO to get it fixed correctly. Just make sure to find a good shop and if the work is not satisfactory, make sure to have them do it right. Don't accept a mediocre job.
alkemist
alkemist
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Lax07 Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Do you think I should bring it back to the same shop again and ask them to try to fix it for the third time. Explaining to them that its not the bumper but the actual quarter panel that is not lining up?
Lax07
Lax07
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by alkemist Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 pm

It's a tough call. Do they warranty their workmanship? If they do, you can let them have a whirl since you don't have to pay. It is possible that the shop, so to say, hit a road block and don't know how to further repair your car also.
alkemist
alkemist
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by 05RedDevil Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:15 am

I'd say try taking it back to the shop that did the work.

Also, there is no hard in getting a manual from AutoZone and removing the fascias yourself
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lax07 Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:17 am

Every repair is under warranty. I will bring it back today and explain the bumper is fine but the rear fender just doesn't look right. Hopefully they will straighten it out properly, I didn't think it was that hard.
Lax07
Lax07
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lax07 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Well I took it to them today. I have deemed the front hood is not their problem. It was like that before, I just was being to meticulous on it yesterday because I found out my dog had cancer... So I was in a very bad mood (shes 13 1/2 years old). With the rear bumper and back fender they are ordering a new bracket for the rear bumper and will fix it that way. Either the metal is out of line or the bumper is not sitting right. Either way its getting fixed next week!
Lax07
Lax07
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by alkemist Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog Sad
Sounds like everything else is in good order though. Not sure about your hood.. think mine has moved a little again.
alkemist
alkemist
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down