Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

head light studs won't come out?

5 posters

Go down

head light studs won't come out? Empty head light studs won't come out?

Post by top_back_5.0 Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Ok, i just got a new set of head lights up at carlisle, and sure enough i find out they don't come with hardware. the old bolts that hold the headlights are being pretty stubborn. i've only got the passenger side out so far, but i'm just curious if whether there is anyplace that makes repops, or do i just have to hit mustang mike's to get some used ones? at this point i'm pretty much stuck grinding out the old ones, cuz a ratchet and vise grips aren't doing it here head light studs won't come out? 20541

btw, i know 5.0 resto has reproduction nuts, but i need the whole stud. what feeds into the adjustment plate. (sorry if i'm being redundant by being specific, but hey, better safe than sorry.)
top_back_5.0
top_back_5.0
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Back to top Go down

head light studs won't come out? Empty Re: head light studs won't come out?

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:07 pm

It's been a while since I have looked at a fox headlamp adjuster.

I thought it was all part of the adjustment plate.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-13118/87-93-Mustang-Rh-Headlight-Adjusting-Plate
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-13119/87-93-Mustang-Lh-Headlight-Adjusting-Plate
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Headlight-Related-Hardware

I have a full 89 GT front end in my carport. I will check them out. It has headlamps and all.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by top_back_5.0 Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 pm

It is. My problem is the nuts that hold the studs won't come off. The assemblies are out, the studs with the nuts on them are still stuck in the body though. Any reason I can't just grind the studs out and just get new washers and nuts at lowes?
top_back_5.0
top_back_5.0
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I think they are molded in. So might not work. But with anything a little bit of ingenuity and you can get it to work
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by top_back_5.0 Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 pm

this has been pure hell trying to get these studs out. bought some new vise grips, that helped a little. got 2 more of the studs out, but have at least 2 to go, maybe 4. hopefully i manage to get them out after work tomorrow.
top_back_5.0
top_back_5.0
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:11 pm

top_back_5.0 wrote:Ok, i just got a new set of head lights up at carlisle, and sure enough i find out they don't come with hardware. the old bolts that hold the headlights are being pretty stubborn. i've only got the passenger side out so far, but i'm just curious if whether there is anyplace that makes repops, or do i just have to hit mustang mike's to get some used ones? at this point i'm pretty much stuck grinding out the old ones, cuz a ratchet and vise grips aren't doing it here head light studs won't come out? 20541

btw, i know 5.0 resto has reproduction nuts, but i need the whole stud. what feeds into the adjustment plate. (sorry if i'm being redundant by being specific, but hey, better safe than sorry.)
I may have the studs you need, I just threw away some broken plates I replaced on my 89 vert and I believe they had the studs still in them, I'll check the trash, let me know if interested

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by top_back_5.0 Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 pm

turns out the corner markers and whatever the inside lights are called (the ones closest to the middle) have the studs in them. the new housings had new studs. the headlights didn't since they attach to the adjuster plate (which i'm too broke to spend another $40 a piece on, when the ones i had were good) but i had enough studs that didn't break off to make it work. only problem now is my lights don't shine far enough out. guess i'll try to adjust that tomorrow.
top_back_5.0
top_back_5.0
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethelism Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:26 pm

How did nobody notice that he said "reproduction nuts"? ROTFL
Bethelism
Bethelism
Grand Poobet
Grand Poobet

Number of posts : 1724
Registration date : 2008-12-30

http://www.bethelism.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 01stangbabe Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 am

head light studs won't come out? 878392 head light studs won't come out? 878392 head light studs won't come out? 878392
01stangbabe
01stangbabe
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down