Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice on an issue with a performance shop

+2
Big-B
TT_05_Stang
6 posters

Go down

Need advice on an issue with a performance shop Empty Need advice on an issue with a performance shop

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:08 pm

So its a long story but I am going to sum it up the best I can...

I purchased a aftermarket hyd. throw out bearing for my 05, because many people were having issues with the stock TOB and aftermarket flywheels/clutches due to the difference in clearance between the two. It seems the aftermarket is using 04 and older style flywheels and clutches, which do not use a hyd tob. Therefore they have different clearance between the TOB and pressure Plate fingers. So currently there are two options. 1st option is to use the stock TOB and put spacers behind the TOB to take up the space. Some are still having issues with the stock TOB due to higher pressure plate strength. or. 2nd option is to buy an aftermarket TOB that has an adjuster built in. There are two on the market that I know of. McLeod and Ram. The Mcleod is $600 and the Ram is $300.

So I called around as soon as RAM came out and asked how well it was made, and did they have any issues with installs so far. The shop I decided to buy it from said no issues, and it was the best thing out on the market... So I purchased it from them and installed it myself. It worked great for about a week, and then it blew out, and put brake fluid all under the car. I call up the shop and they said that they were having issues with them and for me to bring it in. They took it apart and said that the Pressure Plate bolts had backed out, and caused the TOB to run on its side, and wear out the O-Rings inside. They said they would get a new bearing for me for free, but I would have to pay for the removal and install, which ended up to be just under $700. So now I have paid $1000 so far for a !@#$%^ TOB...

I take the car home, and it worked well, except that the clutch would catch all the way at the top... I delt with it... I had the car up on stands a week later to check an oil leak in the turbo return lines and feeds, and I noticed that the exhaust was hanging a little lower... I start looking around and I see the x-pipe has been welded up. I call the shop up and they say that they had to cut the x-pipe because it wouldnt slip off... While I dont really care what it looks like under the car... I would have liked to know.. but still... I have never had problems with taking the exhaust off before. Now one tip hangs 3" out from the rear bumper while the other is even with the bumper. Now I have to figure out how I am going to even things up, plus I have to figure out how to get the removable cats off, and replace it with the offroad legs...

Now to the last issue. The clutch has been doing great for about 1.5 months, until I come home from work Friday... The ECU throws a brake fluid low code. So I check it and there is almost nothing in the brake resevoir. The Clutch TOB runs off the same resevoir. So I fill it and put a piece of cardboard under the car to check for leaks. There is a slow drip maybe 5-10 drips a day so its not much while sitting, but I am sure that goes up as I drive it. So I call the shop, and they say that they have been having tons of issues with the shippment that they recieved when I purchased mine. I asked if it was the first one or the second... They said I got two from the same shippment but would have to pay them to take the trany out again and put it in... WTF now I am supposed to pay anouther $700 for them to fix this thats NOT MY FAULT???? so now I will be out 1700 for a !@#$% TOB???

Should I pay for them to fix this or should this be covered under the original cost of them installing the second TOB??? AND I am now thinking that the presure Plate bolts didnt back out like they originally said... but not sure.. I thought I put lock tite on them.

Will

Last edited by Atlantic Image on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language)
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Need advice on an issue with a performance shop Empty Re: Need advice on an issue with a performance shop

Post by Big-B Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:39 pm

OK, first, who is the shop? If you don't wanna say publicly, send me a pm. Second, I have NEVER seen a case where the pressure plate bolts backed out. Even if they did, how would it cause the t/o bearing to leak? Lastly, they replaced the t/o bearing you installed under warranty. You paid the labor for the job. It goes bad again, now it's on them. The job they did was just like you were a new customer and they were replacing a part for you. Sorry for all your trouble Will. I hope you paid w/ a credit card cuz I would certainly be disputing the charge!!! Keep us posted on that happens.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053

Back to top Go down

Need advice on an issue with a performance shop Empty Re: Need advice on an issue with a performance shop

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks Bernie,

Yeah not going to put the shop name out there since I just talked to him on the phone today. I am sure after I talk to him in person things might work out a little better.

I have never heard of PP bolts backing out either. Especially in an alum flywheel. Usually in alum they will seize rather than back out. They brought me in the first time to show me the bolts and 3 of the 6 were out about 4 threads making a 1/4 inch gap on one side. That threw the fingers off on one side. So about 4 of the 16 fingers were closer to the TOB about 1/8 of an inch. They said the TOB was then cocked sideways wich would then pinch the Orings that ride on the center shaft. It all made sense to me at first and I thought they were doing me a favor by just charging me for the install. I still want to think that.

I did pay with CC I just hate confrontations, especially with someone I have looked up to for a while. He told me on the phone that he wanted to bring the car in and just put it up on the rack, which he said he would do for free, but if he had to rip the tranny out again, he would have to charge me since he would have to pay his mechanics... I thought he would have to do it under warranty... He also said that RAM was cooperating with them(parts wise) and knew there was a problem with the TOB's, but would not help him with the labor cost... I would think if they knew there was a serious problem that they would have helped with labor somehow...

Thats why I always do my own work... I have a thread somewhere on the install of the TOB, and I followed everything to a T. But I am imperfect, and possibly messed up the first install. The second thing is that I am kinda scared to put another RAM POS in the car again...

Will
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Keep us posted on how it goes. I can ask some of the attorneys at work about it if it comes down to a legal matter.
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3597
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:58 pm

So Will I got the solution to you shop problems........

Dont F@*k with me!!

you think this will work??!
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Number of posts : 4206
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:03 pm

I think so. But your going to have to practice that a few times to get it right. I think you are going to have to come to the next few cruises like that just so yuo can get into character. I just want everything to go right and all...

I think I just noticed you have guns in your hands...
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:04 pm

07caligtstang wrote:So Will I got the solution to you shop problems........

Dont F@*k with me!!

lol! Need advice on an issue with a performance shop 940386
Hell I even like that
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about. I doubt Bernie can top that one...it'd be funny to see him try though.

I think we can just chop her car there in the background and make that the new forum logo...who's with me? cheers
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3597
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:45 pm

07caligtstang wrote:So Will I got the solution to you shop problems........

Dont F@*k with me!!

the only thing better would be you wielding a 50 BMG....as if to shoot from the hip.....or twin mossberg 500/590 pumps.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down