Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any $$$ in drag racing???

+4
TT_05_Stang
Big-B
Boss281
ndnboy
8 posters

Go down

Any $$$ in drag racing??? Empty Any $$$ in drag racing???

Post by ndnboy Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Ok, so first, I have never been to a drag stripe and am looking forward to checking some out next year.

I am curious, is there money to be made for weekend racers or is it pure drag hobbiest out there enjoying their toys?
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 4503
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Any $$$ in drag racing??? Empty Re: Any $$$ in drag racing???

Post by Boss281 Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm

You can make small change at the local level, but that's still takes a lot of time, practice, and money to dump into a consistent track car. Here's a link to last year's payouts at Mason Dixon: http://www.masondixondragway.com/2007%20Entry%20Fees.htm anc Cecil: http://www.cecilcountydragway.com/schedule_payout_fees.shtml .

Don't let that discourage you though. Drag racing is a lot of fun, and grudge racing with your crew is even better. I can't wait to smoke Bernie's butt this year, for example... Twisted Evil

John
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:49 am

Literally laughing out loud. John, that was too funny. I can't wait for the upcomming season. Hopefully the few changes I'm making will be for the better and not the worse. I guess time will tell.

I think I need to be worried more about Zach unless you have some secret modding goin on for the upcoming season.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:51 am

Boss281 wrote: Drag racing is a lot of fun, and grudge racing with your crew is even better. I can't wait to smoke Bernie's butt this year, for example... Twisted Evil

John

look forward to seeing you guys and others run, me and my son will get a kick out of it
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:45 am

PRO50SC wrote:Literally laughing out loud. John, that was too funny. I can't wait for the upcomming season. Hopefully the few changes I'm making will be for the better and not the worse. I guess time will tell.

I think I need to be worried more about Zach unless you have some secret modding goin on for the upcoming season.

I thought that would get a rise out of you!

Zach's motor is complete and ready to go into the '87, just need some 40 degree plus weather on one of his days off to make it happen. My guess is the car will be running by the end of January. We'll have to see whether the motor and other mods (mostly weight savings) make some big differences. I'll be pissed if he pulls a full second ahead of me again. Right now it's just a few hundredths...

You know about my clutch and shifter problems, but I finally spent the money on a new clutch and that's going in Wednesday. With some weekend driving in dry weather I should have it broken in my March. Then it's a matter of dialing in the new suspension and launch RPMs. I was hoping to have money for the longtube headers/midpipe ($1300) and GT500 throttle body ($?) by March too but I'm all tapped out from the holidays. Have to wait for spring bonus money. I'm watching ebay for the discontinued weld xps, as they are the only ones with the correct backspacing for the s197s.

By the way, I'm signing up for Pinks All Out in Englishtown. While very rare they HAVE picked mid-12 second groupings in the past, and the modmotor forums are trying to drum up interest so we can get either an 11 sec or 12 sec group by sheer numbers. Emails go out midnight on the 6th so read up if you're interested.

John
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:56 pm

I have spent TON's of money modding drag cars in the past... You will never really make money from payouts... UNless your a top fuel team. Yuo WILL spend way more money than you can hypothetically make.

But it does help with modding the car.... couple hundred here... thousand here or there... I have found you break less parts if you just save... instead of racing Smile... but what fun is it in that?

The one thing you do get from racing is the fun factor with the safest possible conditions. You will meet tons of guys that are fun, some knowledeable, and the occasional FOS(Full Of !@#$) guy...

All in all its more about the fun factor. Don't think about it for money because you will spend more than you will make... trust me Smile. Put it in the bank and you willmake more money letting it sit lol...

my .02
Will
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:32 pm

LOL!

I was curiuos if any one of YOU guys make $$ racing, I am too broke to spend that kind of cash on mods, after all ,I went for the 4.0 Pony for show not the go the bigger brothers have.

I hope to enjoy some of the FUN factor this year watching you guys race. I plan on attending the GOOTC event put on by BMC, it will be my first chance on seeing some runs.
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:41 pm

John the Pinks thing sounds great. You're right though, they always seem to want 10sec cars. Leaves us poor slow guys out! Crying or Very sad

As for doing it for money, don't have the time. It's just for fun for me.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mike226 Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Had just got my car was at Natural Bridge dragstrip in VA was going to see whatit can do when I saw a guy with a new vette run and he ran his car and gradually came to the guard rail and sideswiped it for about 10 feet scrapes from bumper to bumper lost my nerve LOL
Big Mike226
Big Mike226
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelegend08GT Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Damn Chevy guys cant even drive in a straight line... Any $$$ in drag racing??? 940386
Thelegend08GT
Thelegend08GT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 pm

Juan, you could bracket race and make some money. It's not about speed, it's about consistancy. You could roll in w/ a stock car and rule that class.

Last edited by PRO50SC on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by 1stMustangGT Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:55 pm

This is exactly why guys race on the street. That's where the money is at, unfortunately. This is also where the trouble is. There's a guy's on here from the Catoctin Mountain Cruise (Low 11s) my friend said he's big into that. His car is all set up for that, I wouldn't doubt it.

1stMustangGT
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:13 pm

I remember that car. Pretty sweet!

Street racing FTL!!! No
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by zporta Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:20 pm

yea i never got into street racing thank god...main reason may be cuz my f-150 was slower then dirt...
zporta
zporta
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4696
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 1stMustangGT Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:47 pm

I would really hate to get caught street racing in Maryland these days. Forget about VA, they would probably arrest you, lock you up, convict you, and sentence you 2 years all in the same day.

1stMustangGT
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down