Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing my Cat's, need help!

4 posters

Go down

Testing my Cat's, need help! Empty Testing my Cat's, need help!

Post by Big Blue Thu May 06, 2010 10:54 am

OK so you all know my plight, the car is a whole second-2 second's slower then it was with just a few mild mods, so after looking around the Inter Web I'm finding that people that put on the duel's are in fact going faster by it, yes there losing low end torque but gaining it back later on the high end, and their saying that they get a better launch, so I'm thinking there must be another problem, I have replaced the Fuel Filter, the Spark Plugs {and they looked fine when I pulled them, wore out but fine} and cleaned the air filter good, so now I'm thinking what if the problem isn't a high flow exhaust but actually the opposite, what if the cats are starting to clog up, not a lot but just enough to slow the car down.
So my problem is, how do I test this theory, I can turn off the rear EGO's but the front ones have to stay on for the car to run, and the front ones are in the pipe that the cat's are welded to so I cant just drop the cats and try it, if this is the problem, I would just go and save up some money and get a Mac off road Pro Chamber, but I'm not going to go out and spend another $450 on a maybe, so is there any way to test the cats without spending a bunch of money?

And if you got any other ideas as to what could the problem be, please chime in, I've been working on cars all my life, and I understand most of what you could tell me, I just get the feeling I'm missing something here.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Testing my Cat's, need help! Empty Re: Testing my Cat's, need help!

Post by TT_05_Stang Thu May 06, 2010 11:18 am

Best thing to do is datalog and see what the engine is doing.

After you see those facts and rule out it loosing power, then I would look further down the train.

I'm wondering if a higer stall torque converter would wake your car up.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Thu May 06, 2010 11:32 am

Ya I can see that, but I'm not getting the same results as others with the same setup and engine, so something is wrong, and I don't want to throw any nmore mods at the car until we get the ones that are there now right, its the same as computers, you put a bunch of stuff on and then you have a problem, now you have to figure out where that problem is, you can throw a new hard drive or memory in it, but you still haven't fixed the original problem, now you computer is running much faster, and your happy, but if you figure out that first problem, your even faster.
I don't think its smart to do any more modding until I get whats been done right, from now on I'll take the car to the track the week before doing any mods, and then take it back to the track after the mod so I don't wind up in this position again, the last time I had the car on the track before doing the Duel's was like a year and 1/2, so the thing I don't know is, was the car slower then that time before I did the mod any way, and is the mod maybe not at fault at all.
As soon as I can get with Innovate to get this damn wide band working right I'll log the car out and take a look at it.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobT Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I have a gauge that test for back pressure to see if a convertor is clogged. This screws in where the front o2 sensor goes. Start it up and it will tell you right away.
BobT
BobT
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Fri May 07, 2010 10:22 am

Cool, I got go to mom's this weekend, but do you think I can stop out next weekend and check it out?
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominican7 Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 am

I would take your Cats to the Vet. They are the proffesional.
Dominican7
Dominican7
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by BobT Fri May 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Big Blue wrote:Cool, I got go to mom's this weekend, but do you think I can stop out next weekend and check it out?

I should be around
BobT
BobT
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm

cool I'll call you near the end of the week
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down