Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swirl Marks

4 posters

Go down

Swirl Marks Empty Swirl Marks

Post by NuJersey Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:08 pm

So I haven't been taken great care of my black stang's paint. I wash it often but I haven't been waxing like I should. Using terry towels to dry it has left swirl marks all over the car. I want to get this stuff corrected and start fresh with my paint maintenance. I heard of a few really good detailers in the area, but of the three recommended detailers in DMV area that I called (D&D, DJ Mayo, and I forgot the other one) they are either too expensive ($1,000!!) or not available to take new customers. I like doing things myself and learning knew skils, so I bought a 10" orbital buffer but I had to be honest with myself and realize that I have no idea what I am doing lol. What's my best bet? Watch some youtube videos and do it myself? Get paint correction service and give up half of my check? or Do one of you know a cheaper detailer that knows what they are doing? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

NuJersey
NuJersey
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back to top Go down

Swirl Marks Empty Re: Swirl Marks

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 am

depending on the depth of the swirl marks you will want to use different grit compounds. You do NOT want to use any mechanical device on any corners or sharp transitions, if you have never done it before. It will go through the clear in a second...

I would really start out with a 12" x 12" section and do it all by hand. Once you get the feel then move to the orbital on a large flat area, also just doing a 12" x 12" area.

Like I said earlier the compound you need to start with depends on the amount, and depth of the scratches.

http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/M105

http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/M205

Remember ALL true polishing compounds are cutting agents... many put a cutting agent in with a wax, however two stage cutting and then sealing result in a better looking finsih...
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by LXStangFiveOh Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 am

We may be too far for you to come, but the buffer at our shop is top notch and he could take care of your swirl marks. Probably looking at about $200 or so for us to do the car. He just did my dad's GT500 and he couldn't be happier. Just throwing it out there.
LXStangFiveOh
LXStangFiveOh
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJersey Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:54 pm

LXStangFiveOh wrote:We may be too far for you to come, but the buffer at our shop is top notch and he could take care of your swirl marks..

I'm seeing this very late but send me the info for the shop. I'm interested.
NuJersey
NuJersey
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by LXStangFiveOh Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Get in touch with me if you want to set up a time for me to check it out. Might be able to look at it at a meetup or something, that way you don't need to come out to Frederick just to have it looked at.

Autobody Dimensions of Frederick
brianh@autobodydimensions.com
(301)695-5666
5702 Industry Ln. A-36
Frederick, MD 21704
LXStangFiveOh
LXStangFiveOh
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by rgoddard Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Honestly one thing you could think about is a DA(dual action) buffer. I had some swirls and some light etching from water marks(well water minerals here) from washing my car and obviously rain that dried on my paint. Today's DA buffers are much more forgiving than an orbital buffer. They are actually designed so that they don't burn up your paint.

Many companies make great products for paint correction but I like to approach it with a test area first with a low grit rating then if it looks like it needs more I step 1 grade up until I see the change I need. Like stated before when you get into the higher grit stay away from edges and corners where the paint is at its thinnest.

I will try and help you the best I can but do you have any pics of how bad the scratches really are?

Many people here probably know a lot about paint and how to care for it.
rgoddard
rgoddard
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2011-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJersey Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16 pm

LXStangFiveOh wrote:Get in touch with me if you want to set up a time for me to check it out. Might be able to look at it at a meetup or something, that way you don't need to come out to Frederick just to have it looked at.

Autobody Dimensions of Frederick
brianh@autobodydimensions.com
(301)695-5666
5702 Industry Ln. A-36
Frederick, MD 21704

Sorry for the super late response. I didn't see your comment. I still have the same issue though so I will try to reach out to you soon. I'm VERY interested in doing a meet-up/cruise in the near future so that would be an option too. Thanks for the reply. 
NuJersey
NuJersey
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJersey Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 pm

rgoddard wrote:Honestly one thing you could think about is a DA(dual action) buffer. I had some swirls and some light etching from water marks(well water minerals here) from washing my car and obviously rain that dried on my paint. Today's DA buffers are much more forgiving than an orbital buffer. They are actually designed so that they don't burn up your paint.  

Many companies make great products for paint correction but I like to approach it with a test area first with a low grit rating then if it looks like it needs more I step 1 grade up until I see the change I need. Like stated before when you get into the higher grit stay away from edges and corners where the paint is at its thinnest.

I will try and help you the best I can but do you have any pics of how bad the scratches really are?

Many people here probably know a lot about paint and how to care for it.

Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of people on the site that have experience with this. I did buy a DA buffer and I know they're more forgiving but I haven't used it yet lol. I'm too worried about messing up. I'm a DIY'er but I don't have any good experience with this type of thing so I know my limits. I would rather learn how to do it under the supervision of someone who actually knows what they are doing. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. I'm definitely interested in meet-ups/cruises so maybe you can see the car in person some time soon. I'm sure I can also take pics to show the marks. They aren't TOO bad IMO.
NuJersey
NuJersey
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: