Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throttle body ?

+5
Boobinspector
05RedDevil
Boss281
TT_05_Stang
ThunderSteed
9 posters

Go down

Throttle body ? Empty Throttle body ?

Post by ThunderSteed Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 pm

What is the air flow difference between the stock gt TB and the gt500 TB?
ThunderSteed
ThunderSteed
Poobah Light {Un Willing Vice Prez}
Poobah Light {Un Willing Vice Prez}

Number of posts : 1149
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Throttle body ? Empty Re: Throttle body ?

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed May 06, 2009 10:57 pm

I have not seen anyone actually flow the throttle bodies. I have seen dyno sessions back to back that netted anywhere from no gains to 11rwhp.

Its slowly being found out that Ford really matched its parts well with the TB and intake.

You will see major increase in power when having a supercharger after it. Sucking is much harder than blowing... yes I said that... more dense air you can get in the better.

All in all the TB and TB spacers are just snake oil with NA motors. High flow numbers are great however if you dont combine velocity of the charge of air... your air becomes less dense, therefore less power...

In short... maybe 4-5 rwhp...
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 pm

What he said...
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by 05RedDevil Thu May 07, 2009 2:42 am

I agree. The throttle body is really one of the last mods to do as the returns are it are not noticable.
If you want inexpensive acceleration, go with a tune next or new gears.
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 am

Just like what was said above. A tune will help you get more from your car than a TB. And you have to understand that when your car was made the tune is set up for worse case scenario. So with some A/F and Timing adjustments better would be made. For instance a set of cams, long tube headers, full exhaust, then throttle body. if you are looking for acceleration just go with a set of gears and while you are in there up grade your limited slips clutch disc with cobra discs if they are compatable.. any thing you do will usually nessitate a new tune dependent on how it will effect your air fuel. A throttle body only allows more air to get throught that point, but if you do not have the cams to allow more air and fuel in it is pointless.

SCREW it just get a S/C or TURBO and Call it a day.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by svtwin73 Thu May 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Hmm, I have the gt500 TB on my GT and found that the RPM's hang on longer when shifting. They don't drop off as fast when clutch is in.
svtwin73
svtwin73
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by VegasGT Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 pm

if you do get a tb dont get it used (although i dont know if it makes a difference) because they are a HUGE pita to retune just to get your car to idle much less accelerate. i ended up giving up after 4hrs.
VegasGT
VegasGT
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 pm

A retune can fix what svtwin73 is talking about. What I is when you press your throttle your computer tells your throttle body to close a little. So when you are shifting at full throttle your not getting as much power. Another one of fords safety features. The bottom point is a throttle body will most likely only give you 5 to maybe 8 hp no matter what anybody tells you. And that is by its self without tune, you really would not feel any gain. Your best bet if you want to go N/A. Invest in good heads, cams, and all the other goodies. Or just get gears if you want better acceleration. Another good avenue would be to check JPC Racing. Justin over there does performance packages. Another avenue would be to talk to Jason from Competition Speed and Sound, Jason does most of the Cobra's in MACA. He does quality work and very fair with pricing. The guy put a Spec Stage 3 clutch and Fidanza Flywheel in my car total cost for parts and labor was around 950. It might help you just to call Jason and ask him what he thinks and he might be able to point you in the right direction. DON'T BE A LEMMING. If you are just looking for better throttle response and ACCEL. just get a retune and gears. 3.73 are nice.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:52 am

New Guy here,
Maybe this is an old topic that new guys just keep bringing up but here goes:

I just got a Shelby GT with 4.6L - How do I find out what cam / and heads I have already...when I called Vegas they said it has the performance package ( What is that ? )...guess I should have asked CS in Vegas.

Buck
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 am

Where should I go for a good tune?

Buck
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:06 am

OK I have a question that you all may be able to answer, its in a V6 but the question is about air flow and velocity, I have 2 different CAI, the JLT and I don't remember the brand on the other one, but I have checked out the whole Throttle Body thing and its fairly well accepted that if your NA with no power adders a larger TB wont do anything for you, but, the JLT intake is huge, 2 - 3 times the size as the TB, the other one is about the same size as the TB and has smother turns then the JLT, so with the JLT I must be getting less velocity because of its size, so wouldn't the smaller CAI be better for power then the larger one, because it has better velocity?
I've been wrestling with this question for a wile now, and hope I can get a little better Idea here of which way to go.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Give you an example.

Look at water rapids. Prior to the rapids its very calm. Why is this. well there is resriction at the rapids. Rocks and such make resistance in the warter, and the water has to "speed up" to cross them. directly after this "shallow" area there is very fast moving water.

This is your air speed, and velocity. A bell mouth increases air velocity because it compresses the air. a bell mouth afterwards would slow the air down, because it has much more area to fill.

On a NA motor USUALLY the size of the intake tube, doesnt affect it that much, because its actually the runners in the intake plenum, and the intake ports that make or break the velocity. My first guess is that the meter, is measuring less air velocity, in the larger tube due to lower air speeds. Thus messing with the torque down low. Up top it probably picks up power, not sure, just a guess.

This is where a dyno graph would tell the difference between the two CAI's and tell you where you are loosing power, and where you are gaining, if any.

Hope that helps...
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down