Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

+5
TT_05_Stang
pikuoff
kooldawg6
chrisverneuil
discodave
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions Empty Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

Post by discodave Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:33 pm

A few days ago I got my FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc installed and now I have a few questions for those who are smart on this subject:

1. After the install I used my tuner to put in the correct gear ratio in order to recalibrate the speedometer. Worked great, no issues with that. Here's the question here: Are custom tunes Gear Specific? I've noticed on some sites like Brenspeed, Bama, etc., that they ask for your gear ratio when asking for a custom tune. Since my gear ratio has changed, is the tune I have now ok or should I get a new one?

2. My car (I think all the 2010s have it) has Traction Control, with a Traction Control button. The default is "Traction Control On" and if you hit the button the "Traction Control Off" light is displayed. This came stock on my car and I never really used it. Now that I have a Trac-Loc (Limited Slip Differential), what's the purpose of the factory Traction Control? Maybe I don't understand the Traction Control function enough to know this.

3. When the shop installed my gears and Trac-Loc they didn't put in friction modifier. I noticed a noise in the back (kind of a "whoomp" "whoomp" sound) that only happened while make sharp, slow right turns. So, I called "Randy's Ring and Pinion", the place that I ordered everything from) and told them about the sound, and the first thing he said to me was "Did they use friction modifier?". Long story short, I went back and they added the friction modifier and said that there shouldn't be any issues, and to give it a week or so for the friction modifier to work itself into the gears. The noise is still there but I'm waiting and will go back there if it doesn't go away. My question here is: Since they didn't add the friction modifier until a full day after the install, should there be any issues that could come up because of it?

4. The gears do make a sound, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "whine". It kind of sounds like a faint noise and only happens when I accelerate. As soon as I let off the gas the sound goes away. It really just sounds like the gears turning. It's not loud, but I can hear it. I don't mind it at all, but have read that the gears should make zero noise just like stock. The guy showed me in the paperwork that came with the gears a line that said something along the lines of "These gears WILL make SOME noise". The owner of this shop builds racecars for people and has a great reputation, which is why I went there in the first place. Question here is: Should I worry about the faint sound coming from the rear when accelerating?

Break in Period: This shop said that the break-in period isn't necessary, but can't hurt. I got specific instructions from Randy's Ring and Pinion that said to baby it for the first 200 miles or so before you "get on it". I've been doing that so I can't report on how it's "really" gonna feel once I do see what the gears can do. I can say this... Even when going light on the gas, I get to my desired speed MUCH faster and with VERY LITTLE effort, which is much different than the 3.31 gears I had in there before.

Sorry for writing this book, but these are questions that I haven't been able to find on this forum.

Your response will be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by discodave on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Font size change)
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions Empty Re: Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

Post by chrisverneuil Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm

i have traction controle also and so do the gts. its so that you can lose traction when runnin around the city when its raining snowing etc. if i turn it of in the rain i can barly get from a dead stop to moving. idk about others but ive been able to over power it:) other have had the frpp gears installed and theyve had zero noise from them. i would do the break in periode just to be safe. how much was the t loc and the gears? the friction modifier i think is used if they use a petroleum based gear oil. if they use a ford recomended sythentic oil theres no need to have it couse it comes with the friction modifier in it.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions Empty Re: Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

Post by discodave Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 pm

I do trust the guy who did the install. He said that "some gears will make noise, some won't". They could be installed the exact same way on 2 different cars and could be 100 percent quiet on one, and noisy on the other.

Don't get me wrong.... It's not HOWLING or anything. It's a faint noise, but I get nervous after reading thread from people with bad installs and excessive whining, which is a sign of a more serious problem.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:58 pm

1. Changing the gear ratio won't hurt the custom tune.

2. Ford's Traction Control works by limiting fuel and spark to the motor to cut power and also applies some braking to regain control. The rear differential works based on physics alone (no computer help).
Here is info off the net:
TRACTION CONTROL is Ford's name for its electronic braking and engine control system that monitors rear wheel slippage and prevents loss of traction when accelerating. If a Mustang has traction control, it must also have 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS). Traction control consists of all the components of the ABS system, plus a powertrain control module (PCM) and a traction control ON/OFF switch. Here's how it works:
When traction control is turned on, the PCM monitors the speed sensors at the wheels and at the transmission and compares rear wheel speed to the car’s road speed. If the rear wheel speed exceeds road speed (loss of traction) the PCM slows the rear wheels until they regain grip. It does that either by applying ABS braking to the rear wheels to slow them down, or by sending less fuel to the engine, which has the same effect.

TRAK-LOK is Ford's name for the clutch-type limited-slip differential that is installed as standard equipment in the 8.8" rear end on the Mustang GT and Cobra. It is a mechanical system. (No ON/OFF switch) The Trak-lok differential includes all the components of an open differential, plus an S-spring and a set of clutches . The S-spring pushes the clutches up against the side gears, which causes the clutches to engage whenever one rear wheel turns faster than the other. In a situation where one rear wheel has little or no traction and the other one has good traction, the clutches engage and provide torque to both wheels. Two wheel burnouts...
The base (V6) Mustang comes with a 7.5" open differential (without Trak Lok) as standard equipment. In the situation described above, this differential will apply all of the car's power to the wheel with little or no traction. That wheel will spin and the other wheel will not. One wheel burnouts...

3. If the backlash was properly set and everything was torqued to spec, going without the friction modifier a day shouldn't hurt anything. However, if it contiues (I wouldn't even let it go a week! Drive it about 50 miles), take it back to have them check it out!

4. There are two different types of FRPP gears. The Motive made gears (which have been known to whine) are followed by "M" in the part #. You want the true Ford made gear. A little bit of whine isn't going to hurt anything as long as install was to spec and neither the ring or pinion had any damage. It's more of an annoyance than mechanical problem. Some Dynamat or other sound proofing material will help cut down on the noise inside the car.

Break In Period: I was told to take it easy for about the first 50 miles by not doing burnouts or quick acceleration runs. That's about all I gave it and I haven't had any noise or problems and they've been in there for 73K miles now Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions 10498
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 pm

discodave wrote:I do trust the guy who did the install. He said that "some gears will make noise, some won't". They could be installed the exact same way on 2 different cars and could be 100 percent quiet on one, and noisy on the other.

Don't get me wrong.... It's not HOWLING or anything. It's a faint noise, but I get nervous after reading thread from people with bad installs and excessive whining, which is a sign of a more serious problem.
If you don't feel comfortable with it, take it back and have them pull the cover and check them out! Any repudable shop/installer will stand behind their work! If not, there is a shop in Manassas that does real good work with gears! Ask pikuoff, he had a gear install issue from another shop...took it to Manassas and they got him fixed up Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions 10498
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:12 pm

kooldawg6 wrote:
discodave wrote:I do trust the guy who did the install. He said that "some gears will make noise, some won't". They could be installed the exact same way on 2 different cars and could be 100 percent quiet on one, and noisy on the other.

If you don't feel comfortable with it, take it back and have them pull the cover and check them out! Any repudable shop/installer will stand behind their work! If not, there is a shop in Manassas that does real good work with gears! Ask pikuoff, he had a gear install issue from another shop...took it to Manassas and they got him fixed up Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions 10498

Definitely, and they told me that too. They said if I'm not comfortable with the noise in a few days to bring it back and they'll open it up and take a look at it. He did say, though, yesterday when he put the friction modifier in he didn't see anything unusual (metal debris, etc.).
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:14 pm

kooldawg6 wrote:1. Changing the gear ratio won't hurt the custom tune.

2. Ford's Traction Control works by limiting fuel and spark to the motor to cut power and also applies some braking to regain control. The rear differential works based on physics alone (no computer help).
Here is info off the net:
TRACTION CONTROL is Ford's name for its electronic braking and engine control system that monitors rear wheel slippage and prevents loss of traction when accelerating. If a Mustang has traction control, it must also have 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS). Traction control consists of all the components of the ABS system, plus a powertrain control module (PCM) and a traction control ON/OFF switch. Here's how it works:
When traction control is turned on, the PCM monitors the speed sensors at the wheels and at the transmission and compares rear wheel speed to the car’s road speed. If the rear wheel speed exceeds road speed (loss of traction) the PCM slows the rear wheels until they regain grip. It does that either by applying ABS braking to the rear wheels to slow them down, or by sending less fuel to the engine, which has the same effect.

TRAK-LOK is Ford's name for the clutch-type limited-slip differential that is installed as standard equipment in the 8.8" rear end on the Mustang GT and Cobra. It is a mechanical system. (No ON/OFF switch) The Trak-lok differential includes all the components of an open differential, plus an S-spring and a set of clutches . The S-spring pushes the clutches up against the side gears, which causes the clutches to engage whenever one rear wheel turns faster than the other. In a situation where one rear wheel has little or no traction and the other one has good traction, the clutches engage and provide torque to both wheels. Two wheel burnouts...
The base (V6) Mustang comes with a 7.5" open differential (without Trak Lok) as standard equipment. In the situation described above, this differential will apply all of the car's power to the wheel with little or no traction. That wheel will spin and the other wheel will not. One wheel burnouts...

3. If the backlash was properly set and everything was torqued to spec, going without the friction modifier a day shouldn't hurt anything. However, if it contiues (I wouldn't even let it go a week! Drive it about 50 miles), take it back to have them check it out!

4. There are two different types of FRPP gears. The Motive made gears (which have been known to whine) are followed by "M" in the part #. You want the true Ford made gear. A little bit of whine isn't going to hurt anything as long as install was to spec and neither the ring or pinion had any damage. It's more of an annoyance than mechanical problem. Some Dynamat or other sound proofing material will help cut down on the noise inside the car.

Break In Period: I was told to take it easy for about the first 50 miles by not doing burnouts or quick acceleration runs. That's about all I gave it and I haven't had any noise or problems and they've been in there for 73K miles now Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions 10498

That's great info man! Thanks for the input! I've already got about 110 miles on the break in and about 8 heat/cool periods so I think I'm good to go now.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:16 pm

On a seperate note.... how come when i "quote" you (by hitting the "quote" button, it doesn't put the box around it? i swear, i've had more format issues than anyone in the history of this site. i hit the buttons and they do nothing.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 am

Yea...I had a bad install. They whined like a beeatch that was pretty loud when decelerating. Took it to Excessive and Chris got me fixed up. No noise Smile

I was told about the break in on the original/bad install and I didn't horse around until after 200+ miles. I still had issues. After Chris got his hands on it and fixed it, I think I went racing the next weekend (no break in other than the trip home from the shop and the drive to the strip) and haven't had an issue or noise yet...that's with 30+ 5k+ rpm launches on drag tires!

No clue on your technical difficulties...sorry! Maybe Will can figure that one out...
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3597
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:57 am

discodave wrote:On a seperate note.... how come when i "quote" you (by hitting the "quote" button, it doesn't put the box around it? i swear, i've had more format issues than anyone in the history of this site. i hit the buttons and they do nothing.

What browser are you using?
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 am

TT_05_Stang wrote:
discodave wrote:On a seperate note.... how come when i "quote" you (by hitting the "quote" button, it doesn't put the box around it? i swear, i've had more format issues than anyone in the history of this site. i hit the buttons and they do nothing.

What browser are you using?

Well, I use Internet Explorer at home and at work. Here at work I can see the boxes. Doesn't make sense. No biggie!
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:17 am

pikuoff wrote:Yea...I had a bad install. They whined like a beeatch that was pretty loud when decelerating. Took it to Excessive and Chris got me fixed up. No noise Smile

I was told about the break in on the original/bad install and I didn't horse around until after 200+ miles. I still had issues. After Chris got his hands on it and fixed it, I think I went racing the next weekend (no break in other than the trip home from the shop and the drive to the strip) and haven't had an issue or noise yet...that's with 30+ 5k+ rpm launches on drag tires!

No clue on your technical difficulties...sorry! Maybe Will can figure that one out...

I'm not sure if I really have technical difficulties really. I can hear the gears, but it's very faint. If I even crack my window I can't hear the gears. Window up, I can faintly hear it.

Where is Excessive? How much did they charge you to fix your bad install? I'm not sure I have a bad install, but I would like to get a second set of eyes on it just to be sure. I didn't spend 1400 bucks to have something go wrong.

If there was a problem, the guys that did my install would make every effort to fix it, but they may not be as good as your guy.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:25 am

I meant your website difficulties. Will is one of our web gurus here.

Excessive is in manassas va. Not too far away. I dont remember what i paid for the fix b/c I had some other stuff done too. They had to replace all the bearings and seals that were roasted from the bad install tho so it was pretty much like paying for it all to get done again! I think it was around $300 but that included the all the parts, etc.
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 am

pikuoff wrote:I meant your website difficulties. Will is one of our web gurus here.

Excessive is in manassas va. Not too far away. I dont remember what i paid for the fix b/c I had some other stuff done too. They had to replace all the bearings and seals that were roasted from the bad install tho so it was pretty much like paying for it all to get done again! I think it was around $300 but that included the all the parts, etc.

Crap, I hope I don't run into that then. I've already paid like 1400 bucks total. They charged my 450 bucks for the install (because of the Trac-Loc) and the rest was all parts and supplies. Hell, they charged me over 100 bucks just for synthetic oil they used, on top of the install charge.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Who did the install and how much was it?
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:19 pm

PRO50SC wrote:

I had a shop in La Plata (right past Waldorf) called Custom Performance. They came highly recommended, and I'm sure they did a good install (other than not adding the friction modifier until the next day). It was very pricey though. I was quoted 400 bucks for the install, then it went up to 450 for the labor when I added the Trac-Loc. Additional parts (lubes, etc) ended up being another 150 dollars. Here's the price breakdown:

Labor: 450
Gears: 300
T-Loc: 200
Bearings (from the Ford Dealer): 200
Additional Parts (synthetic lube, etc) 200

Grand Total: About 1350 dollars

I assumed that the labor fee would have included the synthetic lube and didn't know that the parts place I ordered my gears from wouldn't send the bearings, so had to get them from Ford where they were twice as expensive.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:25 pm

^^^WOW

Even just half that for gears is just WOW...
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm

pikuoff wrote:^^^WOW

Even just half that for gears is just WOW...

Yep, those dudes nickel and dimed me to death. Having to buy the bearings from the Ford Dealer sucked and added about 100 extra dollars to my overall cost. Shipping costs were about 50 bucks I think. If I would have gotten everything I needed in the initial shipment, and supplied my own lubricants it would have been MUCH cheaper.

Lesson learned is make you have all the parts you need beforehand. I thought I did, but since I'm not a mechanic I didn't know.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 05RedDevil Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Ouch. I bought my FRPP 4.10's for $130 new on black friday. The bearing/shim kit was $80 and the install w/ lubes is $300
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:36 pm

05RedDevil wrote:Ouch. I bought my FRPP 4.10's for $130 new on black friday. The bearing/shim kit was $80 and the install w/ lubes is $300

You got a hell of deal man! So your total price will be under 600 bucks, which is very good.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:06 pm

discodave wrote:
PRO50SC wrote:

I had a shop in La Plata (right past Waldorf) called Custom Performance. They came highly recommended, and I'm sure they did a good install (other than not adding the friction modifier until the next day). It was very pricey though. I was quoted 400 bucks for the install, then it went up to 450 for the labor when I added the Trac-Loc. Additional parts (lubes, etc) ended up being another 150 dollars. Here's the price breakdown:

I assumed that the labor fee would have included the synthetic lube and didn't know that the parts place I ordered my gears from wouldn't send the bearings, so had to get them from Ford where they were twice as expensive.
Jesus dude! I tried to hook you up w/ my boy in Frederick. I think you got raped, bad Sorry man. Where did you get your gears? I paid 150 for my 4.10's. And 200 bux for gear lube, what else did that include? Don't seem too reputable by forgetting something as simple as friction modifier. I hope you don't use them again. Who highly recommended them? We'll go kick their ass!!!
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Di they at least give you a wrap around?
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:27 pm

[quote="TT_05_Stang"]Di they at least give you a wrap around?[/quote]

Sad, but no..... Maybe I'll go back in there and ask for one Smile
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:34 pm

[quote="PRO50SC"][quote="discodave"][quote="PRO50SC"][quote="discodave"]I do trust the guy who did the install. He said that "some gears will make noise, some won't". They could be installed the exact same way on 2 different cars and could be 100 percent quiet on one, and noisy on the other.

Don't get me wrong.... It's not HOWLING or anything. It's a faint noise, but I get nervous after reading thread from people with bad installs and excessive whining, which is a sign of a more serious problem.[/quote]Who did the install and how much was it?[/quote]

I assumed that the labor fee would have included the synthetic lube and didn't know that the parts place I ordered my gears from wouldn't send the bearings, so had to get them from Ford where they were twice as expensive.[/quote]Jesus dude! I tried to hook you up w/ my boy in Frederick. I think you got raped, bad Sorry man. Where did you get your gears? I paid 150 for my 4.10's. And 200 bux for gear lube, what else did that include? Don't seem too reputable by forgetting something as simple as friction modifier. I hope you don't use them again. Who highly recommended them? We'll go kick their ass!!![/quote]

I think they came so highly recommended because it's the only shop like that around here (southern maryland, waldorf area). I wish I would have taken your advice. I went into it thinking I'd pay 400 bucks for the install, only to get a call saying, "the setup kit they sent you didn't have bearings" so I was forced to get them from Ford since they already had my car on the lift and opened up.

I ordered my gears from Randy's Ring and Pinion. They did have the 4.10s for the 8.8 diff for a hundred bucks less, but everywhere I looked the 4.10s for my 7.5 diff were around 289 bucks. Throw shipping on top of that and the T-Lock and that added about 50 bucks extra.

Well, at least I got all Ford parts.

They said they didn't add friction modifier (by itself) because the gear lube had some already in it. I called Randy's Ring and Pinion (they know their stuff) and they told me that it needs to go in regardless of whether the lube had it in there already.

I think the install was fine other than that. The sound I do hear is very minor and it hasn't gotten any louder after the now 200 miles I have on it after the break in.

I'm going back to that shop at the 500 mile mark and will have them change the gear oil and check for debris particles.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:36 pm

And, what's worse is that at that price I could have gotten the Ford Dealer to do it and had a better warrantee.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next