Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

+5
TT_05_Stang
pikuoff
kooldawg6
chrisverneuil
discodave
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

Post by Big-B Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:48 pm

My suggestion, in the future before doing anything, put out some feelers here and any other forum you belong to for some advice/feedback. Trust me, it's well worth it. Did you get an estimate from this place? Did they call you and tell you ahead of time that it was going to be more? Did they do any work w/o your approval and then you got the big surprise when you got the bill?

Remember, just b/c a place is right around the corner from you, doesn't always mean it will be the best place to have work done. I mean, if you can afford it and the convenience is worth it to you, then that's a different story. I myself look for the best deal and reasonable distance.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions

Post by discodave Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:53 pm

[quote="PRO50SC"]My suggestion, in the future before doing anything, put out some feelers here and any other forum you belong to for some advice/feedback. Trust me, it's well worth it. Did you get an estimate from this place? Did they call you and tell you ahead of time that it was going to be more? Did they do any work w/o your approval and then you got the big surprise when you got the bill?

Remember, just b/c a place is right around the corner from you, doesn't always mean it will be the best place to have work done. I mean, if you can afford it and the convenience is worth it to you, then that's a different story. I myself look for the best deal and reasonable distance.[/quote]

Definitely agree. The quote they gave me was 400 dollars for the install if I supplied the gears. When I dropped it off I was under the impression that it would be 400 bucks for the install. Then the bearings weren't there, so now add 200. (we're at 600 now)..... So, then I go to pick it up and it's 800 dollars because of the gear oil/lube..... I was PO'd. They knew it too. I told them that they should have been up front about the "shop fees" from the beginning. When you say it's 400 bucks, it should be 400 bucks.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:08 pm

That's too bad. Sorry you had such a lousey experience. Did you pay by cc by any chance? You could dispute the charges.

BTW, change your sig from posi-trac to trac lok. Please know the difference between GM and Fords terminology. You have a nice lookin car BTW!!
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Last quote I got was $400 for labor, and that was bringing my own fluid and complete install kit (about $100).

If I had my own lift (soon!) I'd find someone knowledgeable to show me how it's done right, but right now I'm a home garage floor do it yourselfer...
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by vack Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:07 pm

CJ Pony put in my 4.10's and they are the "A" code from Ford. They Whine like a sick puppy, but then again, I have all kinds of other stuff done that contributes to that.......Alum DS, LCA's, UCA.

I think it's really a hit and miss thing, some people get away with no noise, others like myself get the whine...I know CJ pony knows their stangs, so I'm 110% confident they were installed correctly. I just think it's the nature of modding your car. And gears are a big mod.

Oh yeah, dude, we all join these forums to get information from people that have been down the same road before. A lot of the people on this forum are knowlegeble folk, and know the area you live in well. Mustang Clubbers aren't going to yank your chain so you FUBAR your ride, it's all about sharing, helping, and driving. So listen to them, they know where to get quality for a decent price. 1350.00 for a gear install is criminalm, even if the dude had to drive to Detroit for the gears. Lesson learned bro, but guys like John, Kooldawg, and Pro50 know their shizzit, at least look into their leads. But the next time you want to dump that kind of $$ on something, I have a bridge for sale, kinda famous one ;p

vack
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:33 am

vack wrote:CJ Pony put in my 4.10's and they are the "A" code from Ford. They Whine like a sick puppy, but then again, I have all kinds of other stuff done that contributes to that.......Alum DS, LCA's, UCA.

I think it's really a hit and miss thing, some people get away with no noise, others like myself get the whine...I know CJ pony knows their stangs, so I'm 110% confident they were installed correctly. I just think it's the nature of modding your car. And gears are a big mod.

Oh yeah, dude, we all join these forums to get information from people that have been down the same road before. A lot of the people on this forum are knowlegeble folk, and know the area you live in well. Mustang Clubbers aren't going to yank your chain so you FUBAR your ride, it's all about sharing, helping, and driving. So listen to them, they know where to get quality for a decent price. 1350.00 for a gear install is criminalm, even if the dude had to drive to Detroit for the gears. Lesson learned bro, but guys like John, Kooldawg, and Pro50 know their shizzit, at least look into their leads. But the next time you want to dump that kind of $$ on something, I have a bridge for sale, kinda famous one ;p

Of course. That's why I came on here in the first place. I've been on other forums as well and I always research something to death before I leap. In this case, with this shop, I had countless people at work and around my area tell me that they're the place to go to, and many of them were mustang owners. I do think the gear install is good. I opened it up last night and WOW! I ended up paying too much, though, and lesson learned. It's easy to say "Wow, you got screwed" after the fact.... I went into this thinking I had a 400 dollar gear install and 600 bucks in parts (including the trac-loc)..... From what I've seen 300 bucks is the average price for an install. I went into it knowing that I was paying 100 dollars more than most places but chose them because they were highly recommended. One problem that jacked the price up also was Randy's Ring and Pinion not sending all of the bearings, which made me get them from Ford, which we all know is a huge price difference. Bottom line, from the beginning it seemed fine, but by then end it got really expensive, really fast.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:43 am

Who the hell is Randy's ring and pinion? Never heard of them. Also, I may have mentioned this before. Have you joined
www.metroareamustangsandfords.com
A LOT of the members are in southern Md/Waldorf area. They would be able to help you out a lot w/ shops in your area. Some of us here are also members of that forum as well.

I see you got the quote thing worked out!!Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions - Page 2 10498
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:25 am

PRO50SC wrote:Who the hell is Randy's ring and pinion? Never heard of them. Also, I may have mentioned this before. Have you joined
www.metroareamustangsandfords.com
A LOT of the members are in southern Md/Waldorf area. They would be able to help you out a lot w/ shops in your area. Some of us here are also members of that forum as well.

I see you got the quote thing worked out!!Got FRPP 4.10 Gears with Trac-Loc Installed: Have questions - Page 2 10498

Randy's Ring and Pinion has been in the business for a long time and were very helpful when I called and asked them a million questions.

Thanks for the link to that site; I'll check them out.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:14 pm

"PRO50SC" - That's too bad. Sorry you had such a lousey experience. Did you pay by cc by any chance? You could dispute the charges.

BTW, change your sig from posi-trac to trac lok. Please know the difference between GM and Fords terminology. You have a nice lookin car BTW!!"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Signature changed! And I'm using Firefox now so we'll see if my "box" shows up around your quotes....

Edit.... Nope, it didn't......
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:53 pm

that is so weird. could be something to with ur profile settings then. About the only other thing that i can think of. Make sure you dont have any boxes checked when you reply. They say HTML, XHTML and other ones like that.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by discodave Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:54 pm

chrisverneuil wrote:that is so weird. could be something to with ur profile settings then. About the only other thing that i can think of. Make sure you dont have any boxes checked when you reply. They say HTML, XHTML and other ones like that.

I finally figured it out. The "Allow BBCode" box wasn't checked.
discodave
discodave
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2