Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues

+4
Boss281
Croft
Smokeurhonda
BlakJak87
8 posters

Go down

Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues Empty Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues

Post by BlakJak87 Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:01 am

Maybe someone can help me out, I installed my 1-piece d/s today and I have atrocious vibration only after 90 mph. It's mild while accelerating, moderate when I let off the throttle and absolutely horrendous if I brake from that speed and above. I'm only lowered ~1" in the rear but I haven't corrected my pinion angle...can't imagine it would off by much of anything...

I feel like a kid who's scoop of ice cream fell off the cone...and magically landed on a plate on the sidewalk...only to be trampled by someone walking by Sad
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues Empty Re: Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues

Post by Smokeurhonda Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:59 am

BlakJak87 wrote:

I feel like a kid who's scoop of ice cream fell off the cone...and magically landed on a plate on the sidewalk...only to be trampled by someone walking by Sad

Sorry no advice, but that S@%# is funny right der. Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues 878392
Smokeurhonda
Smokeurhonda
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues Empty Re: Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues

Post by Croft Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:40 am

Why not try reinstalling it and turn it 180 degrees.

I have read where folks have had vibration issues after installing their D/S and went back and turned it 180 degrees before they reinstalled it and it was fine. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Last edited by 07caligtstang on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Number of posts : 4206
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 am

Andrew, there is a LOT of information out there about vibration after 1 piece shaft installs on s197s, and note that a properly installed one piece USUALLY does NOT require changing the pinion angle with a modest drop like that. With my Steeda springs, I added an adjustable UCA, checked the pinion angle, and it was fine!

When problems happen with one piece install, everything from problems with the balance on the shaft to incorrect installation (rotated and bolted in 180 degrees from what it should be, incorrect adaptor install or flange, etc). Even your mph vibration target is fairly common. There is a ton of info for you to sort through.

I would do searches on s197forum.com and forums.themustangsource.com using "driveshaft" and "vibration".

Who makes the driveshaft? Shaftmasters? Spydershaft? Coast?
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakJak87 Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:16 am

It's a Shaftmasters direct bolt-in. I did not replace the pinion flange.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the "180 degrees off" concept.

1. During installation, I marked the position of the stock driveshaft as a reference in case I had to throw it back on in the future. These marks did not line up, they only coincided with bolt positions at each end.

2. Before we took the stocker out, I had unbolted 5 of the CV joint bolts and 2 of the tranny output flange bolts while the *stock shaft was still in place*. I realized that I wouldn't be able to easily orient the driveshaft to my original markings given that one looked like 5 o'clock and the other looked like 3 o'clock or something bizarre like that.

3. To remedy this, I made a second set of different-looking markings that would line up to EXACTLY 6 o'clock on both sides. Those 6 o'clock markings are what I used to orient the new d/s.

My question is, for the 180-degrees-off fix, do I completely unbolt both ends of the driveshaft, rotate it 180 degrees, and bolt it back on? I may have accidentally fully rotated the tranny output flange, while the pinion flange was not rotated, but I still installed the driveshaft according to my 6 o'clock markings. Would that have caused an issue, and should the tranny output flange get rotated?

Thanks!
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by jeostang Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 am

I would mark the DS at the pinion flange pull it out, and turn it 180 degrees and bolt it back in. Then test.
jeostang
jeostang
Colt
Colt

Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 am

What he said. If that's not it a bit more sleuthing will be necessary...
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakJak87 Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Jeo, should I unbolt the tranny output flange too or can that stay bolted on?

A Shaftmasters rep told me to keep turning the tranny output flange 90 degrees, simultaneously turn the pinion flange 120 degrees and then test for vibration. I'm going to try a 180 degree turn first.

If my rotations don't work, the shaft has to go back..
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by jeostang Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 pm

I would unbolt the from the trans too. I had to do the same with my car. I still had a slight vibe but it was way better then when I first installed it.
jeostang
jeostang
Colt
Colt

Back to top Go down

Post by Low 11s Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:20 pm

If you can't remedy the situation it sounds like Shaftmasters did exactly what the name implies.
Low 11s
Low 11s
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jeostang Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Low 11s wrote:If you can't remedy the situation it sounds like Shaftmasters did exactly what the name implies.

Oh Damn, lol
jeostang
jeostang
Colt
Colt

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:29 am

Does the Shaftmasters come with an adapter plate for the 05+ style pinion hub?

If so that is the #1 reason for vibration. Horrible design...

As said you will have to unbolt it, move it around to another bolt hole until it possibly balances...

Usually this is a PITA...

The main reason I went Spidershaft, it uses a conventional pinion hub.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominican7 Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:07 am

jeostang wrote:
Low 11s wrote:If you can't remedy the situation it sounds like Shaftmasters did exactly what the name implies.

Oh Damn, lol

Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues 878392 Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues 878392 Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues 878392 Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues 3757 Installed driveshaft today...vibration issues 434531
Dominican7
Dominican7
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakJak87 Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm

TT_05_Stang wrote:Does the Shaftmasters come with an adapter plate for the 05+ style pinion hub?

If so that is the #1 reason for vibration. Horrible design...

As said you will have to unbolt it, move it around to another bolt hole until it possibly balances...

Usually this is a PITA...

The main reason I went Spidershaft, it uses a conventional pinion hub.

It's a direct bolt-in design. No pinion flange adapter plate needed.
BlakJak87
BlakJak87
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down