Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work....

5 posters

Go down

Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work.... Empty Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work....

Post by Maui Built Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Ok, here is the issue....I purchased a new set of Tall Aluminum Polished Valve covers from CJ Ponyparts to dress up the engine as I have Harland Sharp 1.6 rollers which I have modified the stockers to accomodate on my Edelbrock Heads. The problem lies in the clearance of the EFI. I can make the drivers side work by removing the breather "T" and plugging it, re-routing it to the front. From what I gather, with a 1" phenolic, you still have to bend the throttle lever at at 45 degree angle and modify the throttle cable bracket. I have a 6" Cervini's cowl hood, so with my current phenolic (.5") and a 1" added, I think it should work. The burning question is will my CAI nail my hood upon closing with it being raised 1.5"....any ideas on how to get a good measurement without tearing up my new paint? Sounds stupid, but I'm kinda scratchin' my head and butt on this one...LOL.
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work.... Empty Re: Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work....

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm

I ran the trickflow tall valve covers with 1.5 spacer and had no issues with the throttle. You running an egr plate?
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work.... Empty Re: Making Tall Aluminum Valve covers work....

Post by Maui Built Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 am

Yes, it is still emissions compliant. I noticed on one post on the net they stated you might have to either make your own Throttle bracket or "slot" the holes in the stock one. I figured if the intake cleared, the EGR would as well. Thnx for the reply.
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 am

yeah the EGR moves the throttle out towards the highest point of the valve cover.

TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maui Built Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Well figured out the nice shiny new valve covers will not work as my CAI will hit the hood where it contours off the cowl with a 1.5" spacer (had to jimmy a tape measure so when I lowered the hood it measured the clearance....really shadetree..) so painted the stock covers and put them on...then when I went to fix my leaking header gasket, the bolt sheared off my header collector....so I tore it out and had to cut off the bolt and drill it out......oh, the adventure of it all....uggghhhh.....
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Vert motot mounts. Drop engine an inch
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maui Built Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Now that is a great idea....thnx!
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:32 pm

I use these on mine http://www.cgmmotorsports.com/sbffordfabricatedvalvecovers289302351wstroker.aspx with no problems. Clear roller rockers and the intake without needing a retarded intake spacer.
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Maui Built Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm

BCP, thanks for the link...they look great! And no issue clearing the EFI or throttle cable with it? I am running Harland Sharp rollers so they have a larger arc too. Work on my stockers with mods to the covers. At any rate, thanks.
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

They fit my car fine, and I too have Hardland Sharp rockers. The shop is in Md too.
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethelism Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 am

I love it when you boys talk shop...
Bethelism
Bethelism
Grand Poobet
Grand Poobet

Number of posts : 1724
Registration date : 2008-12-30

http://www.bethelism.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henny Penny Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Bethelism wrote:I love it when you boys talk shop...
Yeah, What she said!
Henny Penny
Henny Penny
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1319
Registration date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Maui Built Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Thnx BCP! I definitely like the looks of them and if they fit without hitting the throttle cable, rollers, sounds like a winner! Now to just sell my $150 worth of new FRRP covers/breather...LOL. Appreciate the help! Have a good one.
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:09 pm

No problem, good luck with your project.
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down