Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rotor Upgrade!

+3
Big Blue
Great White
Chris_5.0
7 posters

Go down

Rotor Upgrade! Empty Rotor Upgrade!

Post by ThunderSteed Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm in the market for new drilled and slotted rotors. Who's using what? Also, did your new rotors come with ceramic pads?
ThunderSteed
ThunderSteed
Poobah Light {Un Willing Vice Prez}

Number of posts : 1149
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Rotor Upgrade! Empty Re: Rotor Upgrade!

Post by ThunderSteed Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm looking at the Power Stop kit from AM. All four rotors and ceramic pads included. Price not bad either, $350.
ThunderSteed
ThunderSteed

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_5.0 Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm looking to do a Brembo swap from '07-'10 GT500s or '11-14 GT Track Pack (same setup).
Chris_5.0
Chris_5.0
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1100
Registration date : 2009-10-10

http://lnkd.in/icRUbA

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am

That's what I have Paul. Had them on the car now for 2 years and have been happy with them. They say the rotors are zinc coated to prevent rust but with our winters they will rust. Although they look good and stop well, I think the next time I will go with regular rotors. I am starting to get a little vibration when braking so I think they are starting to warp. But after 2 years of daily driving I dont think thats bad.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by d_word Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:55 am

I had the whole drilled and slotted kit, really liked them. They were great the first year or two but started to get vibration in the front like Sean said. Mine may have warped too so I have just some slotted rotors in the front now. Still have the d&s on the rears. Stopping was better with the d&s vs slotted in my opinion. 

As far as pads, I did try the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. Not sure if I had a bad set but they squealed and squeaked like crazy! Did everything I could to try to fix it but nothing worked, seems to be common after a Google search.

Just FYI Stage 3 MotorSports has the PowerStop Kit for $319 free shipping, you can have AM price match
d_word
d_word
GT
GT

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I have been really happy with the OEM Motorcraft pads. I have just over 60,000 miles on my car and still on factory issued pads. The are quiet, don't produce much dust, and stop really well. They will probably last me another 30,000 miles.

I know that I will replace them with Motorcraft replacement parts when the time comes.

Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:10 pm

dont get ceramic unless its for the track. get hps
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-10-19

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:29 am

I love my ceramics, before I got them the anti lock BS would come on all the time, after I got them it took less pressure on the pedal to stop the car, so the anti lock hardly ever comes on now
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Big Blue wrote:I love my ceramics, before I got them the anti lock BS would come on all the time, after I got them it took less pressure on the pedal to stop the car, so the anti lock hardly ever comes on now
From my understanding, ceramic pads are meant for track use.  The ceramic compound needs to be fully heated up to be fully functional.  Normal street driving won't do this.  Using ceramic brake pads on a DD will actually make stopping distances longer.
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 am

RTW0223 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:I love my ceramics, before I got them the anti lock BS would come on all the time, after I got them it took less pressure on the pedal to stop the car, so the anti lock hardly ever comes on now
From my understanding, ceramic pads are meant for track use.  The ceramic compound needs to be fully heated up to be fully functional.  Normal street driving won't do this.  Using ceramic brake pads on a DD will actually make stopping distances longer.
Well I hadnt heard that myself, and I know from experience that my car stops way better with ceramics, I've been running them on BB for 120'000 miles now, I'm do need to replace them now though.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 am

Big Blue wrote:
RTW0223 wrote:
Well I hadnt heard that myself, and I know from experience that my car stops way better with ceramics, I've been running them on BB for 120'000 miles now, I'm do need to replace them now though.
This information I got from the guy at late model restoration when I went to order mine. I'll tell you what though. .. I just replaced my wheel bearings, rotors, pads and shoes and have not seen a difference in my braking
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 pm

I have had both on my car and have not seen a big differance. The good thing about the ceramic pads, they do not give off as much dust as the OEM pads did.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by d_word Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53 pm

I've always used ceramic, whether is was the Hawk pads or pads from Advance Auto parts and such. Always worked well for me.
d_word
d_word
GT
GT

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ThunderSteed Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:30 am

On our cars, the 05-09's, the ceramics are recommended by Ford. I've had the regular pads on my car and I can't tell a difference in stopping distance but the dusting was crazy. I'll be sticking with the ceramics.
ThunderSteed
ThunderSteed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down