Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing? Empty Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing?

Post by SVT_N8 Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:30 pm

My daily driver (98 ZX2) is making weird noises with the clutch pedal pressed in and i'm 99% sure its the throw out bearing. How hard of a job is it? Anyone know? George?
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4102
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing? Empty Re: Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing?

Post by SVT_N8 Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:50 pm

could it be the master cylinder? on occasion the rpms will drop out and the car shut off
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing? Empty Re: Anyone know how to replace a throw out bearing?

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:40 pm

5spd07gt wrote:Anyone know? George?

I know George!!!
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT_N8 Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks Will scratch
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:58 pm

If the noise only happens when you depress the clutch pedal, than you know you have to drop the transmission. For your car you need to drop the a-arms to pull the axles, then take the tranmission mount loose. This will allow the transmission to drop past the frame rail, and then you can unbolt the bellhousing.

Its about an 8 hour job in and out.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT_N8 Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:05 pm

hmmm, i hate to take it to a shop but i dont think i want to start into this in my driveway
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT_N8 Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:16 pm

the guys on the zx2 forum said it should only take 2-4hrs if you are mechanically inclined and have instructions.
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by svtwin73 Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Andrews has that auto hobby shop, opens at 9 on Saturdays......
svtwin73
svtwin73
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT_N8 Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:41 am

yah, thats where i work but its too far to take the car incase i dont get it finished in a day. looks like my garage might be the place
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:30 am

not a bad job. with proper tools and slacking off its about a 6hr job. id say get 4 jack stands, 1 good jack, ractchet strap, tools, it can be done in a driveway. i believe its the TOB with it only occuring without clutch applied.

let me know get a few ppl together and some tools it can be done. im doing a 94 diamante at work and its easy. i did a couple integras a yr ago and they were easy.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 873

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT_N8 Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:45 am

i'm going to replace the clutch while i have it apart. i found a write up on the zx2 forum that walks you through it step by step. i'm going to round up all the parts and tools then i'll see about acquiring some help. appreciate it
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 am

wont be a problem. couple prybars. cheap towels and rags to clean up the atf that will spill.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 873

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down