Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

after market head unit

+2
TT_05_Stang
mine1317
6 posters

Go down

after market head unit Empty after market head unit

Post by mine1317 Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:41 pm

So i'm planning on changing my factory head unit with a double din touch screen head unit but, I am not sure if I would have to do any rewiring in order for it to work with the shaker 1000 sub that I have in my trunk. Any ideas?
mine1317
mine1317
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-03-06

Back to top Go down

after market head unit Empty Re: after market head unit

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Its a plug you need to buy, but there are a few members that have done this swap and used the stock 1000 subs

Think Droptop and Kooldawg would know best
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mine1317 Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:56 pm

hhmm...do you know exactly what kind of plug it is?
mine1317
mine1317
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

If you go to a place that does installs and ask for a adapter plug they should have it. http://www.myinstallkit.com/prod.asp?prod=3626 you will also need to install somthing like this also http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599 the factory amps only need 5v to turn on and after markets are 12V. If u dont you will get a "POP" when you turn the car on
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:34 pm

In my '00, I replaced the head unit while keeping everything else stock and don't recall doing anything more than voltage regulator, but then again, my electronics buddy does quite a bit. I don't know about what plug you need to make the aftermarket work with factory as I usually replace 100% of the system.
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:23 pm

I can help you with this, we'll get together over at Paul's one weekend and install it, I put mine in myself, and used the original shaker 500 fronts, but its the same thing for the 1000, John your new head unit may have come with a 5v turn on, some after market units do, but if its a 12v I know how to get around it, mine is a 12v
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 pm

OK here, this is how I did it, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I dont care, its worked for me for the last 4 years now, with out a problem.

Ok I was stumbling around the internet trying to see if my Shaker in my 05 was satellite ready, it's not, but in my looking I came across a thread on the Mustang Forums that talked about how much better sound you get out if the speaker system and subs that are already in the car if you just upgrade the head unit to a hi end after market head unit like Alpine, Kenwood or my favorite Pioneer, any of the good ones will give you the results that I mentioned. I did this and wow what a difference, the only problem that I found to the hole thing is that some of the aftermarket units use a 12 Volt + turn on lead for the amps, the shaker uses a 5 V + turn on, this causes a loud pop when you start the car or turn on the stereo unit, some folks just deal with it, but my fear is that if you continue to feed 12 v into something made to take 5 v that your going to burn it out eventually, so I saw on the Mustang Forums thread that you can build a 5 volt converter with parts from radio shack, if you read that thread you will see what they suggest and you may want to go that way, but, I have a simple fix for the 12V/5V turn on problem, after reading the whole Mustang Forums posting
I went to Radio Shack and ask for the things I needed and they looked at me as if I was
Speaking another language or something, So I came up with something that worked
Perfectly, if you are a little afraid of soldering things together and finding heatsinks and all of that, Just go buy a cell phone car charger that is for a 4.5 Volt DC phone and do this.
Take the cigarette lighter plug of the phone charger apart; this is normally 1 or 2 phillips screws,
Hook up the 12 V + amp turn on from the head unit to the 12 V + wire that feeds the
Phone charger {this will be the wire that is attached to the center post of the adapter,
Go ahead and cut this wire off of the post as you will not use the post and you will want to remove it from the adapter so it cant cause a short later} Hook the Ground – wire of the adapter {this is the wire that is attached to the side contact of the lighter adapter, go ahead and cut this wire off of the side contact and remove the side contact, again because you don’t want it to cause a short later as well} to the Ground wire of the head unit, you must use both of these wires because you will only be using 4.5V + of the 12V + that the head unit provides, so the other 7.5 volts have to be siphoned off and you will need a ground to take care of that, without going in detail of how all that works. Now you are going to cut off the plug that would have gone to the phone, at this point you will have 2 wires, and they will be 4.5 Volts + and -, you only have 1 turn on wire that you need to hook up to the harness that plugs into the cars amp and this will be the + or Positive, the – or negative wire you will want to tape up as this wire will not be used, make sure you have taped or in some other way insulated all of you wires so you don’t get any shorts, ok now put the lighter adapter back together without the center and side contacts that you removed earlier, the wires that you hooked up to the 12 Volt side of the adapter can be routed threw the hole that used to hold the center post [ convenient ha ] I also taped mine up to keep the wires from moving around during the rest of my installation, and it works perfect, I get no popping on turn on and the amp works perfectly. The great thing about using this method is that you can get the adapter just about anywhere, and it has a built in heatsink already in the adapter, and there’s no soldering unless you want to solder the wires as some folks do. I have had my Pioneer in the Stang about 6 months now and the sound just blows the shaker away, So if this sounds like the solution your looking for, pick up your favorite brand, for me its Pioneer but any top of the line head unit will make all the difference in the world.
I hope this helps, and if you have any questions just ask, myself or someone else will be glad to help
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Droptop306 Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:12 am

I posted a how to on this on the forum. I converted my Shaker 500 to a Pioneer Avic D-3 and then installed the shaker 1000 subs and amps. Not hard just add the 5v piece from radio shake to eliminate the popping and then the metra harness and it is done. I believe this post should still be on the site if not I can look it up. I even have pics attatched to it. PM me your email and i will track it down and send it to you. Think it will help you out alot.
Droptop306
Droptop306
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by mine1317 Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm

thanks guys!!! man everyone helps me out here! lol! i'll let you know as soon as i get my head unit. Haven't decided what exactly to get yet. lol
mine1317
mine1317
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down