Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there?????

+2
TT_05_Stang
ndnboy
6 posters

Go down

Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there????? Empty Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there?????

Post by ndnboy Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 am

Desktop wont power up after the power came back on yesterday, its a Dell Dimension 8400, had for awhile and would like to get it back. I have alot of docs on ext drive (hope theyre still there) but still have sons school work and other docs/pics on desktop. I reached out to a few PC forums but no luck yet, read something about trying new power cord...

If any of you have had something similiar and can offer a fix Im listening : )

Thx
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 4503
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there????? Empty Re: Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there?????

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:53 am

Does the power supply come on? Does the fan come on? Are there any beeps? If there are beeps count them and let me know.

If none of these are happening most likely it the power supply.

Some have a reset button on the back. If not you can pick up a new one for 20-100 depending on the brand.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there????? Empty Re: Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there?????

Post by FASFOX89 Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:04 am

hopefully its only the power supply...what size ps is it...may have one laying around you can have...let me know
FASFOX89
FASFOX89
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 am

Since its a dell I believe it needs to be Dell compatible which means it needs a Dell#P 6 plug.

Its a 450w PS according to dell
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/specs.htm

I can check on which one you need from Best Buy...

TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:33 am

There are no beeps, no fan, power light up front is off and the ABCD lights on back panel are off .

Info on PSU that i could see show it as a 350W unit and its a 24 pin connector with no on/off switch and 2 SATA connectors according to the specs.

Wasnt sure if going to Geek Squad would be the thing to do, let me know the part # or if u have something laying around, thx
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 am

fairly easy to replace yourself. the 350w is the lowest your computer will take to run, I usually get at least 50w more as it throttles what the computer asks for.

Geek squad can replace it for you, but might be expensive. Usually just 4 screws for the side cover, then 4 screws that hold the PS to the docking bay. I then take one plug off at a time, and plug it into the new PS, so your connections are not messed up.

Dynex™ - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply

Model: DX-400WPS| SKU: 8311052

Last edited by TT_05_Stang on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 am

Have you confirmed power to the outlet? possible GFI tripped or breaker
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pikuoff Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:34 pm

I have a spare one at the house that works for your computer.
pikuoff
pikuoff
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3597
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Lone Star wrote:Have you confirmed power to the outlet? possible GFI tripped or breaker

yep, checked that out, thx
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:03 pm

ndnboy wrote:
Lone Star wrote:Have you confirmed power to the outlet? possible GFI tripped or breaker

yep, checked that out, thx

Figured you did, but sometimes its the simple things we overlook Desktop wont power up, any PC help out there????? 10498
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

pikuoff wrote:I have a spare one at the house that works for your computer.

Thx brother, will alk with u later...
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by etc1006 Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 pm

My Mom and step-dad just had theirs (Dell also) quit a couple of weeks ago. We thought PS also... Bad motherboard... It's ~3 years old.
etc1006
etc1006
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 am

Guess i will be going by BestBuy to check on the Dynex™ - 400-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply and others, thx Will.

Thx for checking at home B.

ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 pm

Picked up the PSU this morning and 20 mins later my old PC is back up and running : )
Had to cut a bit of the case to accomodate an on/off switch but it is good to go, thanks agaian for all the help.
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:48 pm

ahh forgot about that, they didnt have a non power switch model?
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Nope, the only model the store had was the one u had pointed out, almost had them do it, thought I would break something inside the case with my retard thumbs, now if I can crawl under my pony and get rid of her squeeks, and check the breaks on the 66 I will have accomplished something this week : )
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down