Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pull to the left

+2
mjr46
nicholasa631
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pull to the left  Empty Pull to the left

Post by nicholasa631 Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm

So the last snow storm I spun out doing about 30-40 and hit the RIGHT front tire. I took it in and found the alignment had been messed up. I got it fixed and moved the wheel to the rear because the wheel was slightly bent. I do plan on getting a new set of wheels and tires. My question is with my car pulling to the Left what is the most likely cause? I'm thinking replace the tie rods. What is the likely hood of the of it being the tie rods, or possibly the front control arms...or could it be something else?
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2013-05-22

Back to top Go down

Pull to the left  Empty Re: Pull to the left

Post by mjr46 Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 am

swap tires in the front from one side to the other and report back

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I would say you definitely should check the tie rod, its certainly possible it got bent when you curbed the tire
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:36 pm

If you had the alignment done, I would be questioning the place as to why it's pulling.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Big-B wrote:If you had the alignment done, I would be questioning the place as to why it's pulling.

good catch Bernie! That would be the first place I checked lol
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Big-B wrote:If you had the alignment done, I would be questioning the place as to why it's pulling.
may not be an alignment issue, he said he rotated the one bad rim to the rear, if the tires are worn at uneven rates it may be a tire pull

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:28 pm

mjr46 wrote:
may not be an alignment issue, he said he rotated the one bad rim to the rear, if the tires are worn at uneven rates it may be a tire pull
yes, could be, but if I had a car aligned, and it pulled, I would be asking why. They should have road tested after the alignment and should have noticed the pull. Mike, not everyone fixes cars like you and I. We would have both noticed this and informed the customer of the issue. Unless Nick is leaving out some info, I feel like the shop is at fault for not doing a complete analysis of the problem.

Nick, where did you have the alignment done?
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:01 pm

good points and the consumer should always raise the BS flag when satisfaction is not done or provided for services rendered. Pull to the left  381957 

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 pm

I also wanted to mention at about 65-75mph on highways on a right curve in the road I have vibrations but not going straight or left curves
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 pm

I also wanted to thank everyone for the replies, I have taken the car back to the shop and told them only to check and report what the issue is. IF it is tie rods which I'm thinking it might be I will get a new set at my job since with my pricing outter ones are only about 26
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:06 am

Big-B wrote:
mjr46 wrote:
yes, could be, but if I had a car aligned, and it pulled, I would be asking why. They should have road tested after the alignment and should have noticed the pull. Mike, not everyone fixes cars like you and I. We would have both noticed this and informed the customer of the issue. Unless Nick is leaving out some info, I feel like the shop is at fault for not doing a complete analysis of the problem.

Nick, where did you have the alignment done?

Before I forget I had it done at Graves Auto. They've been a great place that me and my family has been going to since early 1990.
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:35 pm

nicholasa631 wrote:I also wanted to thank everyone for the replies, I have taken the car back to the shop and told them only to check and report what the issue is. IF it is tie rods which I'm thinking it might be I will get a new set at my job since with my pricing outter ones are only about 26
If they tell you  you need some front end part replaced, find another shop. All that should have been checked BEFORE doing an alignment. Can't wait to hear from you what they find.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Turns out it is the inner tie rods. They were asking 600 for the parts, install of 3 hours of labor and an anlignment. Told them to hang on asked what they were charging for parts and then proceeded to tell them that not only do I work at an auto parts store BUT both sides added up to what they were charging for one side. I went on to tell them that I wouldn't be able to pay that price. I then called one of the shops my store Advance Auto deals with and they said they'd charge me 250 for install, alignment and to check everything else out. I kinda wish this issue came up in a month from now since Iwill be doing this work in class.
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Nick, did you ask why this wasn't found before doing the alignment. I have never done an alignment w/o first making sure ALL the front end parts were good. Sorry bro, but I have been a mechanic in this area for 30 years. All to often I have heard these stories coming out of Graeves. I'm willing to bet your family has been taken for a ride repeatedly over the years. Take it for what it's worth, but I know what happens there first hand. I had friends that worked there and left because of their practices.

http://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/bXKrywIQYyMETRR0_oBo7g
Now I'm sure you'll find happy reviews as well, but like I said, I know what happens there.  If you really want an honest job well done, contact Mike, MJR here on the forum.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm not going back to Graves again. Normally when I needed work done I take it to Iron Mike's Garage over in Rockville, but couldn't remember if his shop had an alignment machine also wanted to drop off the car before work. I wont be dealing with them again. I've taken pride in the fact I've done all work on my car myself, with the exception of a few things but learned how to do the work for future. I will keep him in mind for future work. Thank you very much. I did ask them and they had no answer and when I pushed further that the tie rods probably were damaged when I hit the curb and all they could say was your probably right and left it at that
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:00 pm

I do this thing often for guys on the weekends at my shop at a discount rate, I just charge by the hour if ever interested pm for details we have a brand new rack "JOHN BEAN with all the cameras for angle measurements.......Thanks Bernie for the shout out!! Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:58 am

nicholasa631 wrote:I'm not going back to Graves again. Normally when I needed work done I take it to Iron Mike's Garage over in Rockville, but couldn't remember if his shop had an alignment machine also wanted to drop off the car before work. I wont be dealing with them again. I've taken pride in the fact I've done all work on my car myself, with the exception of a few things but learned how to do the work for future. I will keep him in mind for future work. Thank you very much. I did ask them and they had no answer and when I pushed further that the tie rods probably were damaged when I hit the curb and all they could say was your probably right and left it at that
That's pretty sad, but not surprised by it. Good luck bro, I hope they work it out for you.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am

I can vouch for Mike (mjr46), spent a couple weekends with him at his shop. he did my alignment on his new machine. Damn thing looks like something out of a tranformers movie. Also has done some work for other on this forum. All the info I have got from Bernie or Mike has been right on.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am

Silverstang wrote:I can vouch for Mike (mjr46), spent a couple weekends with him at his shop. he did my alignment on his new machine. Damn thing looks like something out of a tranformers movie. Also has done some work for other on this forum. All the info I have got from Bernie or Mike has been right on.
hey, how's it going Sean??  hope the winter isn't getting the best of you...lol

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:11 am

I need to get an alignment on my 2011 lowered GT where are you located in MD?
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:33 am

I am doing well Mike. The winter hasnt done me in yet. Can't wait for the spring though.

James, Mike's shop is in Frederick. Probably not far from you. He can probably give you better directions than I can thoough.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:17 am

Great White wrote:I need to get an alignment on my 2011 lowered GT where are you located in MD?
in frederick, when I did Sean's /we lowered it here, he had a camber kit, which I did use because there was to much neg camber after lowering it, the bolt kit corrected it.

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 am

mjr46 wrote:
Great White wrote:I need to get an alignment on my 2011 lowered GT where are you located in MD?
in frederick, when I did Sean's /we lowered it here, he had a camber kit, which I did use because there was to much neg camber after lowering it, the bolt kit corrected it.

So I would need the camber bolts only, and not caster/camber plates. Mine is lowered with the Eibach pro kit, 1.5 rear drop and 1 inch up front. similar to Sean's.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-proalign-bolts-0512.html
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:13 pm

That's all I used. Didn't need the caster/camber plates.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 pm

sweet! ordering them now.
Great White
Great White