Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery Dead

+4
Boss281
Great White
ndnboy
Dominican7
8 posters

Go down

Battery Dead Empty Battery Dead

Post by Silverstang Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 am

I think the battery drain issues we have with the s197 are starting to get worse on my car. Usually I can let the car sit a couple days and it starts with no problems. This weekend the car basically sat from friday to this morning. This morning I go to fire her up and nothing. The battery is less than a year old so I am sure its not that. Just to make sure I will take it back to Salvo's to have them check it. But I am sure its the battery drain grimlins. 

Funny thing is, John and I were just talking about this a couple weeks ago and I was telling him how I haven't had any issues. I should have knocked on some wood.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Battery Dead Empty Re: Battery Dead

Post by Dominican7 Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 am

Have you tried putting one of those battery butlers?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/12volt-battery-charger.html

Not sure if it will help.  

Is your alternator good to go?  have you had your charging system diagnosed yet?
Dominican7
Dominican7
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ndnboy Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 am

Havent had one die but have noticed that she struggles a bit if it sits while away on a vaca week...
ndnboy
ndnboy
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 4503
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 am

Dominican7 wrote:Have you tried putting one of those battery butlers?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/12volt-battery-charger.html

Not sure if it will help.  

Is your alternator good to go?  have you had your charging system diagnosed yet?

I was able to get a jump this morning and she started up without a problem. Drove it work and just went out to see if it would start and she fired right up. At some point today I will duck out of the office and take it to get the charging system checked just to make sure its not the alternator. But I think this happened because I let it sit all weekend.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:14 pm

There are known problems, that we discussed Sean.  Security system is getting polled, the Shaker 1000 CD head unit constantly checking for CDs...pain in the butt.
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:24 am

I think the problem is the shaker 1000 (in my case). After getting the battery recharged I pulled all the fuses. This morning she started with out any issues.

One thing I did notice that I didnt before is the clock on the radio stays on (with the fuse in). Before the clock would go off when you turned the key off and opened the door. But last night it just stayed on. Even after I closed and locked the doors. The interor lights went out but the clock stayed on. So that leads me to thing its the source of my problem.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am

Your model years had big issues with the shaker 1000 staying on and drawing the battery down. Alternators were also a big issue during these years on Ford vehicles, not just the mustang. Sounds to me like yours is the shaker Sean.

Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:54 am

Hell, I should just pull all the fuses that work the head unit and see if that kills the draw down I see on my multimeter...
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Back to top Go down

Post by d_word Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:37 pm

I had battery problems about two years ago, swapped out the alternator. Haven't had an issue since. I took the shaker 1000 unit out a few days after I got the car based on some things I heard about it being a battery killer. Wanted to put a Navi unit in anyways Smile

d_word
d_word
GT
GT

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Did a test to see were the problem is coming from. Added the fuses back one at a time to see when I got a spike. The draw comes in when the fuse for the head unit is added. It appears although the head unit has been turned off it stills draws power.

The interesting thing is, each set of amps has its own fuse. So I would put the fuses in one at a time and use my multimeter to check for a change. Nothing on none of the amps. Then I added just the fuse for the radio and I got a spike and it just grew as added the fuses for the amps. So a new head unit seems to be in the future.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by d_word Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:19 pm

When I upgraded to an aftermarket head unit, I got this annoying popping sound every time the radio came on. I installed an amp and subs tho. But if you plan on still using the shaker subs/amp you will need a +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator #7805 to stop the pop. Radio Shack should have them. 

If you do it yourself, I used this write up to guide me thru. If not let the installers know about the voltage regulator

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/pioneer-avic-d3-installation-write-up.736028/
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599
d_word
d_word
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 am

thanks D!
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Right D, I had to do that myself, Sean I dumped that POS shaker in Blue early on, Upgrade to something nice, I got a nice Pioneer double din DVD player in Blue now.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Sean, I think pulling the head unit a good idea.  How about starting another thread about aftermarket units?  I've unfortunately sold my amp and subs long ago for weight savings, so I'd need to get the head unit, new speakers and I suppose an amplifier.  Don't know crap about radios so I may have to get a pro to do it.

Oh, WHICH FUSE controls the head unit???
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 am

Hey John, I'd be happy to help out, car audio is a small hobby of mine, I did all the work on Blue, and I'm on my 2nd stereo in her now, This one plays DVD's and even interfaces with my phone for way more than just hands free access.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:53 am

Boss281 wrote:Sean, I think pulling the head unit a good idea.  How about starting another thread about aftermarket units?  I've unfortunately sold my amp and subs long ago for weight savings, so I'd need to get the head unit, new speakers and I suppose an amplifier.  Don't know crap about radios so I may have to get a pro to do it.

That's the plan just havent had time. Also i have not decided what I want yet. As it relates to the fuses, if you have/had the shaker 1000 it's a total of 3 fuses to totally disable the radio. Check your owners manual for wich ones. I did an online search and did not get the correct info, it seems from year to year they moved the location of the fuses in the box.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by d_word Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:43 am

Boss281 wrote:Sean, I think pulling the head unit a good idea.  How about starting another thread about aftermarket units?  I've unfortunately sold my amp and subs long ago for weight savings, so I'd need to get the head unit, new speakers and I suppose an amplifier.  Don't know crap about radios so I may have to get a pro to do it.

Im looking to upgrade my aftermarket Navi, too. A thread on units would be cool, just to see whats new out there and help with installs.
d_word
d_word
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 pm

D word and Sean, same offer to help with this, it's the one thing I do well with a car
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:20 pm

What kind of system are you leaning toward? Ive been dealiving into the car audio aspect of things a good bit lately and have learned a good bit on things. Sooooo much out there on it.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down