Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead?

4 posters

Go down

Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead? Empty Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead?

Post by nicholasa631 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 pm

I think I have overcharged my A/C system. symptems are as follows. Static pressure of low side is 120psi, high side is near 150psi. When system was turned on compressor cycles on and off 1-2 on and 1-2 off. When compressor turns on high side gets up near 450 then shuts off and drops to about 325-350 psi range. Low side I did not get the readin since I shut the system down before any further possible damage was cause. Chute temp is 100 which is also temp of air. I'm thinking Either the compressor decided it would die last night just after I left class or I being still VERY new at the HVAC class did an over charge. Thoughts?
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2013-05-22

Back to top Go down

Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead? Empty Re: Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead?

Post by Silverstang Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 pm

wish i could help on this one Nick but the only thing I know about the A/C on our cars is how to turn it on.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead? Empty Re: Overcharge my A/C system or Compressor dead?

Post by nicholasa631 Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Turned out it is both, way over charged for I dont know how long and the compressor clutch at a min. locked up
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:38 pm

does your car have a mechanical cooling fan/fan clutch or elec cooling fan Nick??

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:21 pm

I had mine over charged once befor I picked up a new set of Guages {my old ones got lost years ago} and the car has a overcharge blow off valve on it that kept going off.
Also remember, if you have it overcharged it will not cool properly, more isn't better when it comes to AC, drain off some of the pressure and see if it gets better
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Big Blue wrote:I had mine over charged once befor I picked up a new set of Guages {my old ones got lost years ago} and the car has a overcharge blow off valve on it that kept going off.
Also remember, if you have it overcharged it will not cool properly, more isn't better when it comes to AC, drain off some of the pressure and see if it gets better
won't help in his case, compressor was locked up = internal failure, entire system had to be flushed, accumulator replaced, orifice tube replaced and compressor replaced and all lines and evap and condensor had to be flushed, install proper oil anf all new parts and recharge system......it was a mess.

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Oh my Lord, I am sorry to hear that.
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Bummer for sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Yes it was, however it works great now and I am very happy
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:55 am

holy crap, but I am glad you were able to get it fixed.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholasa631 Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:12 pm

so am I, mjr46 was extremely helpful as always
nicholasa631
nicholasa631
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 pm

nicholasa631 wrote:Yes it was, however it works great now and I am very happy
glad to hear that Nick!! Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down