Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutch question

+2
NEMES1S
03silvergt
6 posters

Go down

Clutch question Empty Clutch question

Post by 03silvergt Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:58 pm

My car has almost 93k miles on the odo. I am getting ready to replace the clutch on it but do I really need to replace the cable and quadrant at the same time or should I wait?
03silvergt
03silvergt
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 558
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Clutch question Empty Re: Clutch question

Post by NEMES1S Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:05 pm

03silvergt wrote:My car has almost 93k miles on the odo. I am getting ready to replace the clutch on it but do I really need to replace the cable and quadrant at the same time or should I wait?

Hey good question I was wondering the same thing because I am about to change my clutch also.
NEMES1S
NEMES1S
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 pm

imo dont have to but its easier while there. quadrant aint bad to do off car but on car idk..havent done it that way yet. firewall adjuster be good investment too. dont think any of it is too pricey.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeurhonda Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 am

Honestly it is a good idea to get the firewall adjuster and quadrant if you have the extra money. However if you choose not to, just spray the cable with some lube to help with the slip and slide.
Smokeurhonda
Smokeurhonda
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 03silvergt Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:44 pm

25BlueRaven wrote:
03silvergt wrote:My car has almost 93k miles on the odo. I am getting ready to replace the clutch on it but do I really need to replace the cable and quadrant at the same time or should I wait?

Hey good question I was wondering the same thing because I am about to change my clutch also.

I was told that if you are going with an aftermarket clutch then the plastice quadrant will eventually strip out due to the added pressure from the aftermarket clutch. I just ordered my cable/quadrant/adjuster kit from AM today. If you are putting an aftermarket clutch in then I would get the extra stuff too.
03silvergt
03silvergt
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by NEMES1S Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks for the advice I will place my order also
NEMES1S
NEMES1S
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Best combo would be a spec clutch, a fiore fire wall adjuster, and a upr quadrant. Do not and mean do not use any other clutch cable besides stock. All others are inferior and quality.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NEMES1S Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Boobinspector wrote:Best combo would be a spec clutch, a fiore fire wall adjuster, and a upr quadrant. Do not and mean do not use any other clutch cable besides stock. All others are inferior and quality.
should we get a new flywheel also and what brand I also was looking at the spec stage 2 clutch because of where I hope to get get my torque level to.
NEMES1S
NEMES1S
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by 94silverbullet Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Boobinspector wrote:Best combo would be a spec clutch, a fiore fire wall adjuster, and a upr quadrant. Do not and mean do not use any other clutch cable besides stock. All others are inferior and quality.

i second that about the stock clutch cable.
94silverbullet
94silverbullet
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 03silvergt Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:21 pm

What about the cable/quadrant/adjuster from AM cause that is what I bought. I also heard that Spec clutches were junk. Is this true?
03silvergt
03silvergt
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm

As long as it is a three prong quadrant you should be fine. As for the flywheel if your clutch is old, which I am assuming is a yes. Then yes you should replace your flywheel. A good choice would be a aluminium one such as fidanza. Then next time you need to change your clutch you can just get new inserts for your flywheel.

As for the Spec clutch. I have had one on my car for a little over a year and love it (Spec stage 3). It is a very grabby clutch. And that is why some people say that they are no good. but in my oppinion I want a clutch that grabs. By the way most of the cobra owners I know use SPEC clutches. Just food for thought.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by NEMES1S Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Boobinspector thanks for the parts list and advice.
NEMES1S
NEMES1S
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeurhonda Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 am

[quote="Boobinspector"] A good choice would be a aluminium one such as fidanza. Then next time you need to change your quote]

Agreed. I have a fidanza and it is great. The insert i needed when replacing clutch was only 50 bucks. If you don't want to spend the 400 bucks on a flywheel you don't have to, but you absolutely must have your stock one resurfaced. The spec clutches I have heard good and bad things about. I know they are very sensitive to break in period and if not treated exactly right for the first 500 miles they tend to chatter. I like the Centerforce Dual Friction. I've had it in the car for 25K miles now and no complaints. Holds power and is nice and smooth. Everybody that has them loves em.
Smokeurhonda
Smokeurhonda
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 03silvergt Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:12 am

Is it hard to break-in a clutch? Which clutch would be best suited for street and minimal strip: Spec or Fidanza?
03silvergt
03silvergt
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 am

No matter what kind of clutch you install it has to go through a proper breaking in period. If not your clutches life will be reduced. If I remember correctlly the you have to be easy on it for 500 miles. No hard driving until broken in.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down