Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAC vs. Flowmaster

+6
AAron83
TT_05_Stang
SVT_N8
BCP
kooldawg6
RTW0223
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MAC vs. Flowmaster Empty MAC vs. Flowmaster

Post by RTW0223 Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:58 am

looking for a new catback

Right now I have MAC 1-5/8" Long Tubes with MAC 2.5" off road H pipe to the stock catback with 2.25" Flowmaster original 40's welded in (courtesy of Mike Smile )

My car is extremely quiet at idle and barely opens up. As i accelerate normally the sound is odd... you can deffinately hear the 40s, yet it sounds as if the exhaust can hardly 'breathe', if you know what i mean. Also, there is almost no interior sound..which is what im looking for. I was told the quiet exhaust is due to the small piping of the catback.

So what should i save up for...

the American Thunder catback 2.5" piping with 2.5" tips with super 44 mufflers

OR

the MAC flowpath catback 2.5" piping with 3.5" tips

I was told the MAC flowpaths out perform the Flowmasters. I know that asking what is the 'best' set up is kinda vague, but with my setup (long tubes and o/r h) what will give me the louder and more badass sound

ugh lol

MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-10-19

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

MAC vs. Flowmaster Empty Re: MAC vs. Flowmaster

Post by kooldawg6 Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 am

By "stock catback", you mean the pipes from the H pipe to the muffler are stock? To gain more sound, yes, you need to step up from the 2.25". It's been years and years since my Fox body days, but I do know that a larger diameter muffler tip does help produce a deeper tone, but as far which is better, MAC or Flow...??? I tried that out once on my LX...it had the American Thunder kit on it and I took large wax/paper cups, cut an "X" in the bottom of each one, so that it would slip over the pipe and provide a somewhat tight fit. The cup lip was a larger diameter than the pipe tip and it did make for a deeper idle. The reason I did this was, I was thinking of having 3" tips welded on, but somebody else had plans for the car before I ever got the chance... The larger diameter pipe and muffler tip will increase both inside and outside sound MAC vs. Flowmaster 10498
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:57 am

Bassani.
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 3256
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:23 am

kooldawg6 wrote:By "stock catback", you mean the pipes from the H pipe to the muffler are stock? To gain more sound, yes, you need to step up from the 2.25". It's been years and years since my Fox body days, but I do know that a larger diameter muffler tip does help produce a deeper tone, but as far which is better, MAC or Flow...??? I tried that out once on my LX...it had the American Thunder kit on it and I took large wax/paper cups, cut an "X" in the bottom of each one, so that it would slip over the pipe and provide a somewhat tight fit. The cup lip was a larger diameter than the pipe tip and it did make for a deeper idle. The reason I did this was, I was thinking of having 3" tips welded on, but somebody else had plans for the car before I ever got the chance... The larger diameter pipe and muffler tip will increase both inside and outside sound MAC vs. Flowmaster 10498

yea by stock i mean my whole catback is 2.25. i know i need to step up to a larger pipe, but now im stuck between mac or flowmaster. ive heard mixed reviews
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by SVT_N8 Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:35 am

flowmacs
SVT_N8
SVT_N8
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4102
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 am

Do you have the stock airbox on it?

TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 pm

hmmm airbox? what do you mean
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by AAron83 Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:40 pm

where the air filter is located. air filter sits inside the stock airbox
AAron83
AAron83
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Post by 1loudmouthpony Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:50 pm

as far as mac vs flowmaster, honeslty those two manufactures are all that i would ever run. they offer a nice old school sound imo 302 cant sound anybetter with mac long tubes x pipe and 40 series dumped, or if you prefer tail pipes thats good too. as for the catback/weld in muffler, ive ran flows for a few years no complaiints sound great

bassani slp magnaflow on these cars to me just dont belong on them the modular v8's in the later years really sound good with them but not the 5.0, and the prices of the cat back???.... you could have your entire exhaust system paid for for the price of one of their catbacks. i have 300 bucks in bbk shorties o/r H pipe and dumped flows.

1loudmouthpony
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Good sound is subjective. Something other than "old school" isnt bad just because it's different or newer. There is more to exhaust than just "old school sound", some of us want something that sounds good and flows better than MAC and Flowmaster. MAC products have always been junk, IMO. Cheap prices for cheap quality.

Prices? Of course an entire stainless steel catback is going to cost more than aluminized steel. Better materials, better crafstmanship cost more money.
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by AAron83 Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:53 pm

ive heard a 5.0 with longtubes x pipe and bassani catback sound pretty good to me and yea you get what you pay for. when i get tired of my flowmasters im getting bassani mufflers
AAron83
AAron83
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:55 pm

ranx93 wrote:where the air filter is located. air filter sits inside the stock airbox

if your talking cold air intake... i have K&N other than that ive never heard of "air box"

1loudmouthpony wrote:as far as mac vs flowmaster, honeslty those two manufactures are all that i would ever run. they offer a nice old school sound imo 302 cant sound anybetter with mac long tubes x pipe and 40 series dumped, or if you prefer tail pipes thats good too. as for the catback/weld in muffler, ive ran flows for a few years no complaiints sound great

bassani slp magnaflow on these cars to me just dont belong on them the modular v8's in the later years really sound good with them but not the 5.0, and the prices of the cat back???.... you could have your entire exhaust system paid for for the price of one of their catbacks. i have 300 bucks in bbk shorties o/r H pipe and dumped flows.
i agree with the fact that flowmaster and mac are great for the foxes. like if i realy wanted to just have the loudest and most obnoxious car then i would go to SLPs no offense to people who have them i mean they sound awesome had them on my v6 and it was loud but now that i have the 5.0 i dont want only LOUD but GOOD sounding too. And another reason i am probably going with MAC is just because everyone and their moither has flowmasters on their fox.
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:44 am

BCP wrote:Good sound is subjective. Something other than "old school" isnt bad just because it's different or newer. There is more to exhaust than just "old school sound", some of us want something that sounds good and flows better than MAC and Flowmaster. MAC products have always been junk, IMO. Cheap prices for cheap quality.

Prices? Of course an entire stainless steel catback is going to cost more than aluminized steel. Better materials, better crafstmanship cost more money.
maybe this is the whole reason my junk/ride N/A has a hard time running low 14's/high 13's on the motor and needs help from my secret to get down the 1320 quicker, hrmmmmmm guess if I removed my MAC exhaust, I could pick up some ponies?? Bassani ehh?? wonder if that'd help me?? pirat

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:49 am

idk if thatd give you any more hp Razz but this ride of urs has MAC ?
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

RTW0223 wrote:idk if thatd give you any more hp Razz but this ride of urs has MAC ?
yup, full length headers 1 5/8's 2 1/2 x-pipe 2 1/2 mac cat back, it's not terribly loud but more so a high pitch scream when you get on it and it has some drone to it but my 89 is far louder and it has a flowmaster catback and is a bit slower than my 85

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:23 pm

mjr46 wrote:
BCP wrote:Good sound is subjective. Something other than "old school" isnt bad just because it's different or newer. There is more to exhaust than just "old school sound", some of us want something that sounds good and flows better than MAC and Flowmaster. MAC products have always been junk, IMO. Cheap prices for cheap quality.

maybe this is the whole reason my junk/ride N/A has a hard time running low 14's/high 13's on the motor and needs help from my secret to get down the 1320 quicker, hrmmmmmm guess if I removed my MAC exhaust, I could pick up some ponies?? Bassani ehh?? wonder if that'd help me?? pirat

Dunno, maybe you should ask someone with a fast car what they think! I believe i may need to look into acquiring a secret like yours, because i want to go faster too. MAC vs. Flowmaster 311771
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:27 pm

i found this guys....

http://performance-curve.com/86-93mustang25exhaustsystem.aspx

I can get the original 40 american thunder catback which is what i wanted in the get go... but is it legit???

here is a guy on youtube who got it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0JBP5ixNE
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by AAron83 Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:39 pm

dont you already have original 40 series flows on your car.if so and you buy that performance curve thing itll sound the same as what you take off.
AAron83
AAron83
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm

i heard that if i upgrade to the 2.5" system from the 2.25" ill get better flow and better sound
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by AAron83 Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm

yea but it aint gonna sound that much different i had a 2.25 inch and 2.5 with original 40 series about 4 years ago didnt sound much different to me at all. you can also buy 2.5 inch tailpipes from latemodel resto. a lot of companies mac, flowmaster, magnaflow make stainless 2.5 inch tails. just bolt it onto your 40 series mufflers if you want but its not gonna sound much different especially since you want it LOUDER with some tone.
AAron83
AAron83
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:05 pm

BCP wrote:
mjr46 wrote:

Dunno, maybe you should ask someone with a fast car what they think! I believe i may need to look into acquiring a secret like yours, because i want to go faster too. MAC vs. Flowmaster 311771
AHH but your current secret is much better than mine MAC vs. Flowmaster 878392 as for faster, why you wanna do that?? you're already faster then me. I mean you run 13's and I'm still in the world of the 14's ....once I saw you run solid 13's today, this was me after I left MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541 MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541 MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:32 pm

mjr46 wrote:
BCP wrote:
mjr46 wrote:

AHH but your current secret is much better than mine MAC vs. Flowmaster 878392 as for faster, why you wanna do that?? you're already faster then me. I mean you run 13's and I'm still in the world of the 14's ....once I saw you run solid 13's today, this was me after I left MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541 MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541 MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541

I dunno about better, but maybe two secrets would be better!? I need another secret cause i dont want to be stuck in the 13's forever!! MAC vs. Flowmaster 315115
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:02 pm

BCP wrote:
mjr46 wrote:
BCP wrote:
mjr46 wrote:

I dunno about better, but maybe two secrets would be better!? I need another secret cause i dont want to be stuck in the 13's forever!! MAC vs. Flowmaster 315115
lol, this is no fun chasing your tail lights, I'z gots to get a better secret...hrmmmmm??? actually I can make my secret bigger in less than 15 min..lol.....hmmm, maybe not a good idea...I need a solid foundation , which I don't have...so once again MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541 Sad BCP > MJR46

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maui Built Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Just an aside from the "Peanut Gallery"....I have equal length BBK shorties, Pypes X pipe into 2 chamber Flowmaster 40's. Has a nice deep idle and when I open it up you can hear me from a distance. Nice, deep sound. Again, as posted earlier...its a subjective thing for sure! Good luck.
Maui Built
Maui Built
GT
GT

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by BCP Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:51 pm

mjr46 wrote:
BCP wrote:
mjr46 wrote:
BCP wrote:
mjr46 wrote:

lol, this is no fun chasing your tail lights, I'z gots to get a better secret...hrmmmmm??? actually I can make my secret bigger in less than 15 min..lol.....hmmm, maybe not a good idea...I need a solid foundation , which I don't have...so once again MAC vs. Flowmaster 20541 Sad BCP > MJR46

LOL...I dunno, man. I think you may be faster than me once your secret has been engaged.
BCP
BCP
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next