Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S197 Aluminum Corrosion Issue

4 posters

Go down

S197 Aluminum Corrosion Issue Empty S197 Aluminum Corrosion Issue

Post by RAVEN 6 Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:37 am

After a search of the MPSF site I did not see a thread on this topic so I am going to post the link below to the subject thread on the Bad Pony Site.

This is a heads up for MPSF owners of 05, 06 & 07 Stangs and some other Ford products in the same vintage or earlier that have aluminum body panels. In the case of the Mustangs it is the hood that has become a fairly widespread quality issue.

In essence many of the aluminum hoods became contaminated with iron particles during the manufacturing process. Iron and aluminum are not so great neighbors and in close contact lead to corrosion forming.

This is most frequently found on and under the front lip of the hood or along the sides of the hood and appears like rust bubbles that were painted over.

This topic has been and/or is being discussed on almost every major Mustang forum. Ford has been inconsistent in dealing with this problem. Some have had their cars fixed with new hoods even tho they were out of warranty, others have had their original hood repainted and many have been told "sorry nothing can be done". It is a crap shoot trying to get it fixed and depends seemingly on the quality of the dealer, the quality of the District Service Rep or who is in charge at the Customer Relations Department at Ford Corporate when the warranty claim comes in.

If you have access to Ford TSBs check out TSB 6-25-15.

If you are an owner of an 05,06 or 07 stang check out my misadventures and the comments of others who have dealt with this problem on the bad pony site using the link below.

http://www.badponyclub.com/forum/sho...900#post372900

RAVEN 6
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

S197 Aluminum Corrosion Issue Empty Re: S197 Aluminum Corrosion Issue

Post by Silverstang Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:07 am

I have noticed this on my car but there is no rust forming yet. It just looks like a very bad paint job on the underside of the front lip of the hood.
Silverstang
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RAVEN 6 Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 am

There won't be "rust", aluminum does not rust, it corrodes. As this corrosion migrates to the outer surfaces of your car as mine has done it will appear as bubbles or texture in your paint. Very unsightly and eventually paint will flake off and even further down the road metal may perforate.

This perforation is what triggers Ford's corrosion warranty but the warranty for our cars was 5 years and it usually takes longer than 5 years for the metal to perforate.

RAVEN 6
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I've read about this within the past year or so over on StangNet. I never had that issue with mine, but it only was on the car for just over 2 years before going to fiberglass.
kooldawg6
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:14 pm

My hood is doing the same damn thing. The underside paint is just chipping away.
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Number of posts : 4206
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down