Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine light causing car to run rough and miss

4 posters

Go down

Engine light causing car to run rough and miss Empty Engine light causing car to run rough and miss

Post by weese8991 Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Hey guys, I had a question and wanted to see if you guys could help me out. I have a '89 gt with a powerdyne supercharger on it with about 9k invested into the motor. It seems like after I run the car for about 15 minutes the check engine light will come on and cause the car to run very rough, and the car will not have a constant idle when I come to a stop. I think it's some sort of sensor on the car, maybe even an o2 sensor? I checked if both of them were getting power and they were. But, let me know what else to could be. Thanks
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Engine light causing car to run rough and miss Empty Re: Engine light causing car to run rough and miss

Post by TT_05_Stang Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Is the tune in open or closed loop?
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Engine light causing car to run rough and miss Empty Re: Engine light causing car to run rough and miss

Post by RTW0223 Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 pm

cody, run KOEO and KOER tests!
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-10-19

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:45 pm

RTW0223 wrote:cody, run KOEO and KOER tests!
This is the first thing to do before anyhing else is done, assumed or asked

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:36 pm

TT_05_Stang wrote:Is the tune in open or closed loop?

open, no cats
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 pm

RTW0223 wrote:cody, run KOEO and KOER tests!

Idk if that actually works, I try it out I guess. But it has something to do with a sensor of somesort. Someone said it could even be a MAF. But, the car needs retuned I know that much. The guy before me had it tuned in at the dyno, but then car basically sat for two years and was barely ran. He said I could buy a chip and take it to a dyno and have it tuned in. Which I'm probably going to do whenever i get the $$$. I mean that could be the biggest part of it. The car loads up really bad sometimes and surges from 300rpm all the way up to 1000 and sometimes settles down to a constant 900 where I have it at. But, it didn't act this way until it got colder out. So I'm not sure if the cold weather could have something to do with it as well??
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 pm

If its open loop your sensors are doing nothing. So you can rule that out, thats why I asked.

Where are you referencing vac/boost?
What are you using to reference boost/fuel? FMIC?

What MAF are you using? blow thru or draw thru?

More info the more we can narrow it down.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 pm

RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 am

TT_05_Stang wrote:If its open loop your sensors are doing nothing. So you can rule that out, thats why I asked.

Where are you referencing vac/boost?
What are you using to reference boost/fuel? FMIC?

What MAF are you using? blow thru or draw thru?

More info the more we can narrow it down.

If by FMIC you mean Frontmount intercooler, I dont have one. It's not a turbo charger, it's a Powerdyne Supercharger and I don't need an inercooler. All I have in the car to tell how much boost im running is a boost gauge. Then I have my boost retard knob which is numbered 0,1,2,3. i just know the boost retard has to do with the timing of everything so I dont screw with it too much. As for the MAF its a blow thru.
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:25 am

Nope I meant to write FMU.. somehow I wrote that...
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm

TT_05_Stang wrote:Nope I meant to write FMU.. somehow I wrote that...

To be honest I'm not sure what FMC stands for, is it like Fuel Management something? I know it has to do with the fuel regulator and fuel to air ratio or something like that?
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:43 pm

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=31

it ramps up fuel pressure as boost increases.

pull the codes, and find out what the ecu is bitchin about, and go from there.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:50 pm

TT_05_Stang wrote:http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=31

it ramps up fuel pressure as boost increases.

pull the codes, and find out what the ecu is bitchin about, and go from there.

Yeah alright I got you now! And I'll have to go get an adaptor for my scanner to pull some codes.... Damn technology! I'll try to get one tomorrow and let you know what it's saying.
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:16 pm

use a paperclip cody
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:47 pm

dont have time for that crap lol... i'd rather just use my scanner and have the exact code that i can just look up. TT_05 I'm just really confused on what is happening because when I'm driving the light will all of sudden just come on. but as soon as i shut the car off n turn it back on it goes off? then it will come back a few minutes later. I'm just trying to figure out what is happening. It seems to start acting up after the car warms up a little bit.
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:36 pm

I wish I knew off hand, but it could be anything. If its in open loop I dont think it could be the o2 sensors.

You can test for codes vie a multimeter as well

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:40 am

This could be actually helpfull I'll check it out here in a little bit. What about my EGR valve. I still have it on there, and I dont know if that could cause any malfunctioning problems or not.
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:26 pm

weese8991 wrote:This could be actually helpfull I'll check it out here in a little bit. What about my EGR valve. I still have it on there, and I dont know if that could cause any malfunctioning problems or not.
Engine light causing car to run rough and miss 20541 Engine light causing car to run rough and miss 20541 Engine light causing car to run rough and miss 20541 Engine light causing car to run rough and miss 20541 for the second time, run a koeo/koer test, no reason to make assumptions until the test is run Smile koer runs egr test so if it's malfunctioning it'll pick it up

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 pm

i know that. im running test tomorrow on it. but im doing it with a scanner not with a paper clip lol.
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:31 pm

weese8991 wrote:i know that. im running test tomorrow on it. but im doing it with a scanner not with a paper clip lol.
I have multiple scanners and for quickness I often use them but sometimes the paper clip deal or accessing the the koer test manually will reveal codes the scanner won't pick up, if you doubt it, you need to speak with one of the premier diagnosticians of the eec iv, he can be found on sbftech.com by the screen name of joel5.0.......either way I'd do the scanner methood first Smile good luck.

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by weese8991 Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:05 pm

mjr46 wrote:
weese8991 wrote:i know that. im running test tomorrow on it. but im doing it with a scanner not with a paper clip lol.
I have multiple scanners and for quickness I often use them but sometimes the paper clip deal or accessing the the koer test manually will reveal codes the scanner won't pick up, if you doubt it, you need to speak with one of the premier diagnosticians of the eec iv, he can be found on sbftech.com by the screen name of joel5.0.......either way I'd do the scanner methood first Smile good luck.

Thanks for the information. Its just I have never seen it done or even heard of it before. and yes im doing the scanner within a few days actually. But I ran the car yesterday for a while and it didnt act up at all actually. I was quite surpised. Car is like a damn woman lol
weese8991
weese8991
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down