Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil pan gasket replacement?

2 posters

Go down

oil pan gasket replacement? Empty oil pan gasket replacement?

Post by mine1317 Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:33 pm

So I took the stang to the dealership to have the gauges checked and I was told that they there was a leak under the stang. I was told that it would cost me close to $400 to have it repaired. I did some research and found that the gasket itself isn't that expensive, $30 at the most. So I'm guessing they are charging me $300+ for labor?
mine1317
mine1317
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-03-06

Back to top Go down

oil pan gasket replacement? Empty Re: oil pan gasket replacement?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:20 pm

I am asking a blanket question here regarding this leak. I thought high temp RTV was being used instead of gaskets now. So outside of lifting the motor for pan clearance and cure time is all I could think the overall 300 bucks would be for unless there is additional parts that need to be replaced such as bolts and other consumable hardware.

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm

I dont know too much about the v6, however it is a one piece gasket almost like the modular engines.

The expense is in the dropping of the k member. To remove the pan it needs to pass the pickup tube, which is at the bottom of the pan, you need 8" of clerance, which you cant get from lifting the engine. The k-member is dropped. Some also include alignment which drives up the price.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Wow that is a lot of stuff to do that was once a relative easy job about twenty years ago. I guess the next question would be what is the mileage on this vehicle since the gasket is needing replacement?

Back to top Go down

Post by mine1317 Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am

sorry guy, haven't been online lately. It currently has 70,xxx miles now. Pretty much stock except for CAI and dual exhaust catback exhaust conversion.
mine1317
mine1317
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 pm

mine1317 wrote:sorry guy, haven't been online lately. It currently has 70,xxx miles now. Pretty much stock except for CAI and dual exhaust catback exhaust conversion.

So in a way a pretty normal event that can happen on the mi-level mileage range. So did you fix your car yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by mine1317 Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 pm

6-71 wrote:
mine1317 wrote:sorry guy, haven't been online lately. It currently has 70,xxx miles now. Pretty much stock except for CAI and dual exhaust catback exhaust conversion.

So in a way a pretty normal event that can happen on the mi-level mileage range. So did you fix your car yet?

Yes sir! The dealer called me back to let me know that it was still covered under my extended warranty. At the same time, I also got my gauge cluster. Both the oil pan gasket and my gauge cluster was replaced for $50! lol.
mine1317
mine1317
MACH 1
MACH 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Extended warranty paid for itself oil pan gasket replacement? 10498

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down