Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Draw Issues

+2
TT_05_Stang
05RedDevil
6 posters

Go down

Power Draw Issues Empty Power Draw Issues

Post by RTW0223 Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey all,

Sorry I have been absent from MPSF for a while. :/ Been very busy with my senior design project. For those who aren't friends with me on Facebook, I am on the Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team of Virginia Tech. Basically we are converting a stock 2013 Chevy Malibu to a hybrid. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyways, I am having some, what i believe to be, some power draw issues. When the car turns on, the radio, power windows, and windshield wipers do not come on right away. They do, however, come on right away if the ignition is in accessory mode. Also, when those accessories do finally turn on, and I press the window buttons to lower them, the voltage meter of the battery shoots all the way down. And I can here the effect of that, as the RPM of the engine also decreases. Any ideas? i'm at a loss.
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-10-19

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Power Draw Issues Empty Re: Power Draw Issues

Post by Big-B Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I would be looking at the ingnition switch mounted on the lower part of the column. Be willing to bet that's what it is.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 05RedDevil Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:33 pm

I bet it is that damn flux capacitor. Gets me every time
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:54 pm

I would check the draw at the battery, with acc, and with it running.

Then check it in the run position, without the engine running.

Then step your way back. Check at the ignition relay. Usually there is a ground issue at the ignition relay. Does the starter turn over fast?

The acc are a smaller subset of circuits that are active. With the engine reved, does the windows, wipers go faster?

TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Big-B wrote:I would be looking at the ingnition switch mounted on the lower part of the column. Be willing to bet that's what it is.

You talking about the part that the key inserts into?

TT_05_Stang wrote:I would check the draw at the battery, with acc, and with it running.

Then step your way back. Check at the ignition relay. Usually there is a ground issue at the ignition relay. Does the starter turn over fast?

The acc are a smaller subset of circuits that are active. With the engine reved, does the windows, wipers go faster?

Ill break out my dmm tomorrow and let you know
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 pm

05RedDevil wrote:I bet it is that damn flux capacitor. Gets me every time
No No No Mike, your problem is you never actually come back down to 88 MPH, that's the problem. Power Draw Issues 298203
Big Blue
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2007-09-19

http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am

TT_05_Stang wrote:I would check the draw at the battery, with acc, and with it running.

Took the DMM to the battery just now..

Voltage of battery in accessory mode: 12.29
Voltage of battery with car running: 14.73
Voltage of battery with car in run position, not on: 11.98
Starter solenoid with car running: 14.76
Starter solenoid in accessory mode: 12.25
Starter solenoid with car in run position, not on: 11.95

When the problem first arose, the radio, windshield wipers, and windows would come on shortly after the car was turned on, but recently they will not come on at all now. So I can't say whether or not the windows roll up faster with the engine revved. Seeing as they all come on in accessory mode, I'll rule out a fuse. I should say though, the car will not start in very cold weather. To go somewhere I have to bump start it. But when its not really cold, the car will start right up.
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:25 am

RTW0223 wrote:
Big-B wrote:I would be looking at the ingnition switch mounted on the lower part of the column. Be willing to bet that's what it is.

No, I'm talking about the electrical portion of the switch that's mounted on the lower part of the column. They are famous for going bad. When you turn your key, there is a rod that connects between the mechanical switch( the key) and the electrical part on the lower column. You have to remove the lower panel and find it on the column. Look closely at the connection and look for any burnt wires or pieces on the switch. Years ago, Ford had a recall on them for catching fire, due to a bad connection. They are also adjustable, so they have to be adjusted when installing the new one. It slides where it mounts, that's how it's adjusted. The switch moves in oposite directions when going from accesory to start/run. also, you say it won't start when it's very cold. When you have a connection issue, temp can play a big roll in causing a problem. Parts contract when they are cold, and expand when they heat up. When the contract, it could be just enough to break connection.
Also, one other thing to check when it doesn't start, the small tickle wire on the starter solenoid, check it. While in the crank position, take a test light and see if you have power on that single wire. If not, it comes directly from the ignition switch.

From my past experience, I still bet it's the ignition switch.
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Big-B wrote:
RTW0223 wrote:

No, I'm talking about the electrical portion of the switch that's mounted on the lower part of the column. They are famous for going bad. When you turn your key, there is a rod that connects between the mechanical switch( the key) and the electrical part on the lower column. You have to remove the lower panel and find it on the column. Look closely at the connection and look for any burnt wires or pieces on the switch. Years ago, Ford had a recall on them for catching fire, due to a bad connection. They are also adjustable, so they have to be adjusted when installing the new one. It slides where it mounts, that's how it's adjusted. The switch moves in oposite directions when going from accesory to start/run. also, you say it won't start when it's very cold. When you have a connection issue, temp can play a big roll in causing a problem. Parts contract when they are cold, and expand when they heat up. When the contract, it could be just enough to break connection.
Also, one other thing to check when it doesn't start, the small tickle wire on the starter solenoid, check it. While in the crank position, take a test light and see if you have power on that single wire. If not, it comes directly from the ignition switch.

Yup!!! took the plastic off underneath the steering wheel and the ignition switch was just ziptied together. bought another one and everything works:) Thanks a lot!!
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:23 pm

RTW0223 wrote:
Big-B wrote:
RTW0223 wrote:

Yup!!! took the plastic off underneath the steering wheel and the ignition switch was just ziptied together. bought another one and everything works:) Thanks a lot!!
Glad to hear it Ryan. Merry Christmas bro! Power Draw Issues 10498
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:40 pm

At first I was confused as to which car you were discussing. scratch then realized that you were talking about the fox.

Glad you got that squared away!

Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:31 pm

yeah. now my driver door handle refuses to open my door -__- Hopefully its not too much longer until I get a job and can start building this dam thing!
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Ryan, it is nature of the beast! good thing is that for the most part, parts are cheap and fairly easy to fix. keep your head up bro! you will get a great job once you graduate
Great White
Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 am

Lone Star wrote:Ryan, it is nature of the beast! good thing is that for the most part, parts are cheap and fairly easy to fix. keep your head up bro! you will get a great job once you graduate

nature of the beast... love it! head is always up!! Power Draw Issues 341203
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Power Draw Issues 341203