Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Adders...

+10
Boobinspector
Croft
joshmillslane
chrisverneuil
7ShelbyGT
Big Mike226
1FUN5.0
wecircletheproblem
TT_05_Stang
prodrifterx
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Power Adders... Empty Power Adders...

Post by prodrifterx Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50 pm

ok so for awhile now i have set my mind and goal to be that the mustang will have a built rear end, possible transmission swap and a N/A built engine (long block) thats been bored/stroked to 5.3, a large cam, and high compression. this would include lower plenum forward being swapped out including coils, injectors, and maf---while the exhaust was changed to SLP or kooks for SS304/SS409 for durability and ease the working on the car. i have possibly thought of adding a wet shot of nitrous probably by NX either by means of a single fogger nozzle or a plate kit @ 100hp shot. this would also keep the car streetable in many ways compare to forced induction. i may not use nitrous in fear of being stopped for driving like an idiot and being cited for transporting hazardous chemicals across state lines when i got to VA and such.

however, lately i have been thinking of revamping my goal/plans and doing a twin or single turbo setup from Hellion or Hp Performance. both companies make great kits. this however would change the exhaust and intake setups used and the stats of the long block. it would be awesome and one off then and be very powerful and a fun toy...but the streetability would be out the window probably...correct?

And as for S/C...i only want roots/twin screw style for i dont like centrifugal superchargers based upon response and power curve and how they look in an engine bay compared to a twin screw. thus id consider the big bore KB 2.6L full custom s/c that is the 03 cobra supercharger on the gt intercooling frame.

what do you think? opinion....should i stick with my goal and build the car as currently planned or look into doing a forced induction build up....i am going to put a roadrace/time attack suspension underneath of the car. something i have thought of all day...since i didnt do much at work lol.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Power Adders... Empty Re: Power Adders...

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Well I am biased to turbo, since I built my car... But really you need to make the decision on what YOUR goals are.

Nitrous
Positives : super cheap and easiest to install.
Negetives: have to refill the bottle ALL the time.

Supercharger:
Positives : midrange on the cost side, make great power, dont have to refil anything.
Negetives: any blower is going to be run off the crank, which causes parisitic loss. Pulley changes are needed to change boost pressure. Belts are shredded on a regular basis when going to smaller pullies. Tensioners are a regular replacement.

Turbo:
Positives: No parisitic loss. Driving around part throttle is like driving a stock mustang. Torque curve is instant and flat. If you have the correct exhaust housing matched to your motor lag will be non existant. Flick of a switch I can go from 7lbs and 470 rwhp to 700+ at 16lbs on pump gas...

Negatives: Usually more expensive, more expensive to fix, more expensive to tune, makes more power per lb of boost. Underhood temps can rise, if coatings and wraps are not used, Heavier due to piping.

In the end you need to make yourself a power goal, and then where its going to be used, and how often you want to use it. The you need to make yourself a budget. once you have that times it by 3-4 times, and that is what its going to cost. Ive spent 16 grand in the last year in just power mods to mine...

Will
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by wecircletheproblem Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 pm

well i do have a sixer and i have the same debate...i personally just want to break 400hp and im happy.

now ive debated three things:

Built Motor 4.2L long list of !@#$ has to be done around 8-10 grand not including changing to an 8.8

Turbo...self explanatory

Supercharger...see above

but if i were you...id kenne bell it (i know a kid with a 04 gt with a 2.3 on it, its got some nice power)...nitrous is risky on a everyday car...
wecircletheproblem
wecircletheproblem
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 743
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:29 pm

hmm.... idk...i know what i plan to spend and knowo there will be additional costs...not afraid to spend the monwey but dont wanna spend it on forced induction if the power will be too much for street use....if forced induction is the goal i am doing 15psi minimum.

????
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Being FI doesnt make it too much for the street. Mainly its just the opposite that makes cars not streetable. high lift cams, NA motors that are 12:1 and so forth. Turbo cars are rather tame on the street because it drives exactly like a stock car until you get past say 3000 rpm, and 1/4 throttle. Same is with supercharged cars...

Believe me that it takes 3 times the actual budget.... I have built many full on drag cars to daily drivers with tons of power. The little stuff will nickle and dime you.

lastly is the 15lbs of boost your goal or is a power number? every 14.7 lbs of boost, or kpa will double your power NA. example a 300 hp car will make 600 with 14.7 lbs of boost.

Will

Will
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wecircletheproblem Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:29 pm

holy heck Will ok buddy when do i get to meet you because if i ever do FI my car you are my man Smile
wecircletheproblem
wecircletheproblem
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:59 pm

true. guess im going to try to go forced induced then. and no HP goal really because it will vary pending upon build combos. id like to see 500whp 500wtrq minimum if going with forced induction with a minimum boost setting of 15psi...granted it will peak/spike beyond that even with top of the line external wastegates and relief valves.

the engine will be 5.3L modular 2v from MMR stilll with high flow stage2/3 heads probably by fox lake, patriot, or mmr. compression will be lowered to 8-9:1 pending upon fuel used and timing and boost planned on using.

twin or single turbo.....or kenne bell twin screw 2.6L custom.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by wecircletheproblem Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:03 pm

twins Smile
wecircletheproblem
wecircletheproblem
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I will help where I can Smile

Modular motors like compression... They also start to lose a ton of torque when dropping below 9:1.

If your tossing up between twins and a single, these are the only things to think about.

Twins will build boost before a single will = BS!!! A properly sized single will boost at the same amount of time that a properly sized twin settup. Remember spool is all about exhaust housings. An exhaust housing too small will spool instantly, but choke the motor up top. Just the opposit will take forever to spool but will make more peak HP. Also whether your on a single settup or twins, its how much and fast, as a motor can ingest air and expell exhaust. If you have two smaller exhaust housings using one header each, your splitting the exhaust in two. Or you are joining the two headers into one turbo housing... same exhaust... just split...

Twins will be twice the cost of a single, and be twice the cost when the turbos need to be overhauled/replaced. Twins however have that wow factor at the car shows, and less people have them. Twins usually have very simple hot sides, while having fairly complicated cold sides. Just the opposite for singles.

Again it all is decided by your goals. If your looking for a off the line torque monster that shreds the tires... get a single with say a 68 exhaust housing. You will hit full boost at 2500 rpm. If you want a stock feeling car while driving normal, get a single with say an 81 exhaust housing, and you will see full boost around 3100-3200 rpm, and give the car enough time to get traction. Then its hold on time...

Seriouly though if you want a settup that will take a day to install, and have few to no issues, get a supercharger. If your looking for something different, and the ability to lower/raise the boost with a push of a button... go with a single turbo. The last choice would be twins if you want to be really different.

Will
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 pm

I want to get up with everyone soon... I have been here on this board since it started... but havnt been able to finish the car... now I have all the parts and I put the motor back in over the weekend, and the new transmission also. Just need to install the new rear end, and all the cold side for the turbos. Also the new GT500 front end came in... All this great weather is killing me... I want to be out playing around... The f-350 PSD is great.... but just doesnt hit the spot like the stang does Smile... I want to be at the next meet, mid may.

Will
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wecircletheproblem Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:10 pm

well see both timberlake and i are different i want to boost a 3.9L and him a 4.6L any differences?

i think we both want something that can be driven everyday...but pack a punch Smile
wecircletheproblem
wecircletheproblem
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 pm

no....u need to boost a 4.3L v6 long rod supersix motorsports custom mmmmm. can u say 20psi boost friendly? (its a 3.8L bored/stroked by means of a pickup crank and 351 rods if i read it correctly...researched it when i had my v6).

reliability
durability
streetability
insane horsepower-ability .....lol
i wish they could all be had easily and have full amounts of them all....compromises suck with ones car...once you modify you lose some of them as you gain HP.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by wecircletheproblem Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:33 pm

oh i know all about the 4.3L $$$$

it would be amazing as much as i would like to have a v8 i wanna be different and catch those v8 guys running from me and make them try harder to run Smile

idk this is really a thought...but then again i love whining ;) if you know what i mean but on top of that i think its badass to be N/A
wecircletheproblem
wecircletheproblem
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:41 pm

thanks john...my knowledge on the subject is correct then...its jsut the matter of me being unable to decide. twins are awesome....but a massive single would be sick....yet there are pros and cons to all situations and builds.

regardless the longblock is going to run me in the neighborhood of 10 Large. not counting the other miscellaneous parts and the intake/exhaust or FI assemblies.

how are you building yours:
turbos by........
a/r of compressor housing.......
a/r of turbine housing........
trim of compressor........
trim of turbine......
internal or external wastegate....
relief/bypass/blow off valve size/type/brand....
cam size.....
fuel octane....
engine ultimate size....
piston c/r.....(will change once combined with head cc)

basically trying to figure what you are doing to come up with your setup....so i can determine how i wish to build mine more accurately.....i cant go off of waht is advertised on internet by companies bc of multiple variables and so forth that are thrown into the mix. for example they may say we made over 500whp with this kit...yet they leave out that they did it on a 100+ octane tune w/o cats, a 3inch exhaust, stage__ cam, and large twin 76mm turbos and 60+LB injectors and methanol injection....(exaggerated but you know what i mean).

im glad to hear though that your project is coming along and progress is being made. and a nice large truck is always nice.....is the f350 a 3/4 or 1 ton? whats the psd stand for? diesel or gas?

btw justin yea its badass to be blown or n/a...its all about being different these days and outdoing someone else....lol......we & i (timberlake) know u love to whine lol.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by wecircletheproblem Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:47 pm

hahaha

a 350 is a 1 ton

150 - 1/2
250 - 3/4
350 - 1
450 - 1 1/2
...so on and so fourth
wecircletheproblem
wecircletheproblem
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FUN5.0 Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:04 pm

george-
i'm just posting in your thread because I knew you'd be looking for it.....HAHA

I didn't read the thread...yet, it's long, so I'll go back and read it later
1FUN5.0
1FUN5.0
SNUPER SNATCH
SNUPER SNATCH

Number of posts : 2505
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mike226 Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:31 pm

lol
Big Mike226
Big Mike226
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by prodrifterx Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:14 pm

lol thanks suzanne.
prodrifterx
prodrifterx
COBRA
COBRA

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:11 am

Hello All,

I am also thinking about adding a Supercharger and have been reading for a while.... but I still need help

I have the 4.6L - 3 valve ( aluminum heads on the ShelbyGT ) - I am thinking about getting the Hi Lift Hot Rod Cams from Ford Racing and then adding a Supercharger.
I know that I have to keep my hp below 525 so as not to send my rods thru the engine. BUT I would like to be at 500-520 in that case.

First will the cam and supercharger work well together?
Second KB - or - Whipple ?
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:07 am

Im not a expert at this but from what i have been able to read cams for the 4.6 net nothing. They just add a loby idle to the car. The 4.6s have that variable cam timing so any gains you would of seen from the cam are ruined by the ECU. And for a super charger a Positive displacement type is the way to go.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by joshmillslane Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 am

Cams do work on the 05+ 4.6s, but I wouldn't get the hotrod cams for a blower. You're probably thinking about the thumper cam line that does not make huge power, but does have a badass idle. Comp makes a whole line of blower grind cams for the 05+. I ran the Stage 2 VSR cams with my Novi2200. The idle of those cams on that motor was SICK. Those required replacing the springs and retainers, but they also have a line of cams that don't require valve spring replacement.
joshmillslane
joshmillslane
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by joshmillslane Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:36 am

7ShelbyGT wrote:
I know that I have to keep my hp below 525 so as not to send my rods thru the engine. BUT I would like to be at 500-520 in that case.

First will the cam and supercharger work well together?
Second KB - or - Whipple ?

500 is borrowed time for sure. Low to mid 400s at the wheel is a safe number. I saw one 05 throw a rod at 400. 450s will exceed the capacity of your stock fuel system. If you want to have 500s reliably, you need to build the bottom end. If you don't, you will in time, but not on your own terms.
joshmillslane
joshmillslane
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:52 am

N/A ALL THE WAY!!!
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Number of posts : 4206
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:53 am

If you can't hear the wine you must be behind. You and this NA thing. I went back to S/C with this cobra And I am never going back.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 am

It's all just personal preference. For me, having an all motor car and pushing every bit I can out of the motor is a great feeling. Add a little here and a little there and go out and race, it's an accomplishment to see those ETs drop. Adding a turbo or SC is a "quick fix" in my opinion. To each their own......
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Number of posts : 4206
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next