Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Adders...

+10
Boobinspector
Croft
joshmillslane
chrisverneuil
7ShelbyGT
Big Mike226
1FUN5.0
wecircletheproblem
TT_05_Stang
prodrifterx
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Power Adders... - Page 2 Empty Re: Power Adders...

Post by DarkNightV6 Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 am

Im with Laura. I'd rather have an N/A car then one with FI.
DarkNightV6
DarkNightV6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2794
Registration date : 2008-01-28

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2733066

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:48 am

Don't get me wrong. When I first got this car, I had always wanted to put a S/C on it. But I have since changed my mind. Like I said, just personal preference.
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Number of posts : 4206
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 05RedDevil Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:58 pm

I love being blown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05RedDevil
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Time for interpreter:

Does N/A mean - Non Aspired ( as in no supercharger?) ... or ... what?
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:19 pm

I was considering the Ford Racing Hi lift hot rod cam Ford Part # M-6550-3V......

also considering the below to start out with:
Dual electric fuel pumps,
electric water pump,
electric fan
//////////////////////

then probably (possibly) S/C

But, at the end of my whiplash case - who knows what I will end up with.
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by joshmillslane Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:33 pm

hotrod cams - not best for superchargers
dual fuel pumps - good idea, go with gt500 system
eH20 pump - nice if you track the car alot, but not a power mod, and really shitty if it fails on you.
electric fan - you already have that

Honestly though, you're wasting money doing this a little at a time since cams, fuel pumps, S/C all require retuning after install. You're better off saving for the S/C and getting it all done at once.
joshmillslane
joshmillslane
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks for the info...

It seems hard to stop adding power adders once I start....
If I want 550+ RWHP - I need to re-do the lower end, add S/C, re-do valve springs, add the boost guage set, add dual fuel pumps, sell my kids, rent out my Harley on weekends, etc... kids are over 21 so they probably wouldn't show up at the sale anyway, so cancel that one.

So much to do and only one car to do it with....

Guess I need to plan a budget first, then multiply it by 3 and expect to spend that much
- - or - -
start small and slowly add things....
- - or - -
save up and do it all at once
- - or - -
just wait ( I don't like "wait" )
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:07 pm

joshmillslane wrote:hotrod cams - not best for superchargers
eH20 pump - nice if you track the car alot, but not a power mod, and really shitty if it fails on you.

Honestly though, you're wasting money doing this a little at a time since cams, fuel pumps, S/C all require retuning after install. You're better off saving for the S/C and getting it all done at once.

I could not say it better. Laura I have been on both sides N/A and now S/C. The truth is when it comes to these 4.6 mod motors, if you are gonna go the N/A route it will be more time consuming. Either way though once you get into the 12's every 10th is gonna be a fight. Forced induction is also in the long run can be more efficient for.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:51 pm

It's a choice folks, simple as that. If you want to plunk down $5k-$6k or more all at once on a supercharger, wow, I applaud your choice and wish you well. Some of us like to add things here and there, see what improvements were made, and test them out at the track. Lots of fun and lots of learning too. I really like the "time consuming part". I've dumped $$ on turbos and S/Cs in the past, and I'm going back to my original model, NA all the way.

By the way, Ron Leonard just put a built 5.4l, all NA, into the 10s. One of my buds with bolt-ons and a cam just ran 11.85 at Atco on his 2006 Mustang GT. I'm knocking on 11s door and expect to be there next spring.

Now, my '97 DD with 113k miles, a nice S/C would fatten up that car into a nice sleeper for the commute. Nothing to prove there other than beating my door-to-door travel time...

it's a choice fellas, not religion for pete's sake...

John
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:19 pm

Boobinspector wrote:
joshmillslane wrote:hotrod cams - not best for superchargers

I could not say it better. Laura I have been on both sides N/A and now S/C. The truth is when it comes to these 4.6 mod motors, if you are gonna go the N/A route it will be more time consuming. Either way though once you get into the 12's every 10th is gonna be a fight. Forced induction is also in the long run can be more efficient for.
I have nothing but time. And definitely not the money to throw at a FI set-up. If it takes more time and work to get a few tenths here and there, then so be it. More of a challenge for me, and I like challenges.
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:27 pm

since you have plenty of time, get to puttin on them v/c's so I can get my T/W back!! Power Adders... - Page 2 431842
Big-B
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by joshmillslane Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Boss281 wrote:By the way, Ron Leonard just put a built 5.4l, all NA, into the 10s.

How many Spydershafts did he have to sell to pay for that? I guarantee he's got more in a built 5.4 race motor than an average guy would spend on a built 4.6 with a supercharger.
joshmillslane
joshmillslane
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:04 pm

We're starting to hijack the thread, but to answer your question, who cares how much he spent? He kicked ass on motor alone.

Look, you want a S/C, have at it. Many of us don't.

If you want to keep discussing the NA vs FI topic, I suggest moving this to another thread. If you're who I think you are from NVMC, I'm curious why you sold your NA S197 and dumped $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a kenne bell GT500, when you could have spent a bit less just adding the supercharger to your other car...hmmm, maybe personal choice????

Just razzing ya, but let's take it to another thread...
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Back to top Go down

Post by joshmillslane Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm

I had 2 different superchargers on that car, thanks! My Livernois stroker motor failed, and I was at the crossroads on what to do, so I parted it out and sold it. I then bought a GT500 w/ KB because I wanted one. If you don't want a blower, then don't buy one. I honestly don't give a S@%# what you do with your car, and I don't try belittle you for it. My comments though, are on topic as the issue of cost was brought up. If I'm not mistaken, this is a thread about power adders.

**EDIT**
BTW - I spent a hell of a lot more on that GT over 3 years of modding than I did on this car. I could have almost bought this one twice. I'm not bragging - it was stupid and was mainly the result of not having a clear goal from the get go. If I had laid out a plan in the beginning and stuck to it, I would have saved a lot of money, and that's the lesson I'm trying to pass.

Last edited by joshmillslane on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
joshmillslane
joshmillslane
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by 7ShelbyGT Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:26 pm

OK,...On thread - off thread, I don't know;...

But I really do appreciate the discussion between the different things to do.

I have only had this Mustang about 5 weeks and I am learning a lot from the different info. The last Mustang I had was a 1968 2+2 fastback ( yeah I was dumb to trade it for a Sailboat, but at least I was young and dumb then. ) It had a 289, now I have a 4.6L with Traction Control System...that stalls the engine if I spin too much ! Found the "off" button...point is this is a whole lot different than my old Mustang.
7ShelbyGT
7ShelbyGT
GT
GT

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Wrong guy (my apologies), but NOW I remember you from S197forum! Yeah, that disaster woke us all up to claims our builders make (so are there no good engine builders left??). As I recall I think I even got a part from you.

You're right, this thread is about superchargers. Debate on $$ vs NA belongs elsewhere. There was no belittlement intended, quite the contrary, I was puzzled over the cost factor rationale you made above given your move from a GT to GT500. Trust me, I love ALL things Mustang including yours. It was the argument that didn't (and still doesn't) make sense. Another thread if you're interested.

I'll bow out of this thread--my apologies to the OP.

John
Boss281
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Back to top Go down

Post by joshmillslane Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 pm

Boss281 wrote:I was puzzled over the cost factor rationale you made above given your move from a GT to GT500.

No worries.

GT500s aren't nearly as expensive as they used to be. Check out the for sale sections of Team Shelby, SVT perf, etc. I'm seeing 07 & 08s with less than 10k miles selling in the low to mid 30s by private sellers.
joshmillslane
joshmillslane
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Back to top Go down

Post by Boobinspector Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 pm

I was in somewhat the same boat as Laura except with a 2000 Gt. I really wanted to do the N/A thing, just to be different. That was until I found a 2003 Cobra for a steal last year. The thing was mostly stock. Besides being lowered, borla catback, short shifter, and wheels. I played and played with it and have been surprised more by this car then any other I have owned. By how well it reacts to most mods. And yes whether you go a N/A or F/I proper tuning comes into play. Back to the subject. The other big kicker for me is that this car will take me to and from work. Go to get the groceries and tote me and my boy around without any driveability issues (non at all). While still getting roughly 17mpg city and 27 hwy. I also went the way I did because practicallity. Plus the whine from the Eaton and spanking a Vette here and there is nice. What I hope you do Laura is to keep your mind open ( I know you will). Just in case you do come across a kit that is new or someone is selling used (S/C or turbo). At decent price of course. Keep playing at the track and keep getting more familiar with your setup and you will be fine and keep improving. Also keep your ears open to suggestions from other racers outside your group of buddys, you could be surprised from a fresh perspective. They might see something everyone else is missing.
Boobinspector
Boobinspector
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Croft Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:50 am

Thanks Booby for the support. I always encourage advice and suggestions. You aren't the only one that loves that whine(not from gears of course).
Croft
Croft
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:28 am

It's always good to start out learning performance on a NA engine. Learning the limits.

Once you hit the wall of a certain size engine, you either have to increase cubes, or add something to make the pump(engine) more efficient.

It's all on what satisfies YOU, there is not a right answer in this entire thread, except for YOURS.

NA stroked 5.4's buzzing at 10k have been in the 9's (in a super light car), mind you that engine alone costs 25k, and is torn down very often. This is where the FI is cheaper. With anything you pay to play, and I play a lot...