Maryland Patriot Stangs & Fords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting issues

+5
AAron83
mjr46
chrisverneuil
TT_05_Stang
RTW0223
9 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Starting issues - Page 4 Empty Re: Starting issues

Post by mjr46 Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:31 pm

ryan there are no other 02's on obd 1 mustangs they have 2 and that is it, one for each bank and best to back probe right at the harness connector on the signal wire and look for a ranging voltage from around .1 to 1.0 vdc

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:07 pm

mjr46 wrote:ryan there are no other 02's on obd 1 mustangs they have 2 and that is it, one for each bank and best to back probe right at the harness connector on the signal wire and look for a ranging voltage from around .1 to 1.0 vdc

Wheres the harness connector? I pulled the ECU and found a color coded pinout for the car. Back probed at both of them and saw no change.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 pm

^^^^^^^
just follow the o2 leads up from the headers and see where they plug in, since he has LT'S I'm sure he has extensions on them and if he doesn't it's a possibility pulling on a 19 year old harness could of pulled a wire loose also areas of problem were with the salt and pepper connectors as they are so called, the black and white connectors that at one time attached to the intake at the side/back...mine the pins had loosed up and when I wiggled the connector the car would often shut off and it'd throw odd codes Smile, I cleanned the connector and removed one pin at a time and closed up the female end a tad iirc, these are just guess, I have not ever had time to focus on any of the drivibility issues Ryan's car has had as each time he has brought it to me it has been for a performance mod.......and to day I was short on time as I had alot of wood to cut up in the afternoon with a friend Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

mjr46 wrote:^^^^^^^
just follow the o2 leads up from the headers and see where they plug in, since he has LT'S I'm sure he has extensions on them and if he doesn't it's a possibility pulling on a 19 year old harness could of pulled a wire loose also areas of problem were with the salt and pepper connectors as they are so called, the black and white connectors that at one time attached to the intake at the side/back...mine the pins had loosed up and when I wiggled the connector the car would often shut off and it'd throw odd codes Smile, I cleanned the connector and removed one pin at a time and closed up the female end a tad iirc, these are just guess, I have not ever had time to focus on any of the drivibility issues Ryan's car has had as each time he has brought it to me it has been for a performance mod.......and to day I was short on time as I had alot of wood to cut up in the afternoon with a friend Smile

With it being as cold as it is and his car being low. I didnt attempt to try to follow the sensor leads up. We did try to see if we could visibly follow the leads but we couldn't. I told Ryan to save up for a stand alone ECU or just go carbed as his car has a lot a of FI issues atm. This is the Standalone I told ryan about http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-engine-management-system-wpcb3-unassembled-kit-p-59.html. Gets ride of the MAF uses a wideband or narrow band. Can be modded to just about any vehicle. This is there write up http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_ford_mustang_5_0.htm. For the price of it you cant buy any mod chip or stand alone that can do what the MSII can.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 pm

i do not have extensions, however i bougth o2s with longer pigtails and when i connected them i made sure i didnt pull anything. but ya never know. and yeah, those salt and pepper shakerss are just sitting up near my intake.
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2008-10-19

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:51 pm

you can try taking a pick ryan, and push together tighter the connections a tad in them and then install dialectic grease, seen those connectors cause all sorts of issues after being disturbed on older 5.0's as such Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:34 pm

apparently...

"Ford issued recall 91E19 on 3/27/1992 just for this problem, and created
an “extension harness”, assuming the original harness was too short
causing the large connectors to pull apart."

i will check these out tomorrow after work Smile

and why do you suspect my CEL would burnup like that? now i gotta take the entire dash out again...ughh
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 pm

did the bulb go out again?? maybe cheap bulb/ bad bulb, never had an issue as such with bulb burn up there, try another one and if it does the same then it could have excessive current going to it but if that were the case , I'd think other areas/ bulbs would have an issue, dang, I think you need to park that car for a while and borrow your friends Celica Starting issues - Page 4 20541

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:52 pm

haha the only time i get to drive it is when im at home away from school!
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Standalone would have the same issues.

If its truely lean, the plugs will tell you. Secondly a multimeter at the connector will tell you if its completing the circuit. I still think you have a vacuum leak.
TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 pm

what plugs you talking about and what connector

i think i have vacuum leak too.

one thing i have been looking at online right now is the pcv valve and the hose for it. when i changed from the stock intake to the trick flow it changed the placement of it. instead of it being underneath... there is a hole for it on the side of the upper intake and i am not sure if everything is hooked up correctly.
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:50 pm

TT_05_Stang wrote:Standalone would have the same issues.

If its truely lean, the plugs will tell you. Secondly a multimeter at the connector will tell you if its completing the circuit. I still think you have a vacuum leak.

Same issues? I think if he goes standalone and gets everything fixed up his fox will run better than ever
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Didnt think of checking the plugs. stupid me.
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 am

monday and tuesday i am off work. i will be checking a lot of things...

-spark plugs
-vacuum lines that connect to the upper and lower intake
-vacuum lines going to other sensors such as fuel pressure regulator
-CEL
-why i am losing antifreeze
-clockspring

all are welcome to come and help Smile
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:49 am

^^^^sure wish we would of had time to smoke test it..............as for antifreeze issue, best way is find someone with a pressure tester, pump system up and look for leaks Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:57 am

Old but good

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

I am just saying the stock computer has run over 1000hp, in many different configurations, and a standalone will have to connect to the same harness, or to the same engine that possibly has a vacuum leak.

TT_05_Stang
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:59 am

Lol http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt_ford_mustang_50_adapter_harness.htm
Its already done. And we are trying to track down the vac leak right now if it is one. we are still not sure
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:36 am

really wish i had a garage... i'd be working on it right now.

prior to doing anything ill replace my CEL lol :/

first thing ill do is follow all of the vacuum lines (that i know about lol) and make sure they are all fastened and none are worn or broken. ill also put in a BAP KGU to see if that changes anything

then if that checks ill take off my upper intake and make sure everything that connects to it is fine. im gonn get new braded fastners and actualy plugs... right now i just have bolts plugging them up...

before i take off my upper intake.... im gonna see if i can rent a torque wrench from advanced and make sure eerything is to specs. and could someone tell me the ft-lbs the lower and upper need to be torqued to

sound like a plan???? Smile
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisverneuil Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 am

hellz yz. lower is prob 14 ft lbs
chrisverneuil
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:56 am

chrisverneuil wrote:

Same issues? I think if he goes standalone and gets everything fixed up his fox will run better than ever
his fox will run better when he fixes all the electrical and or mechanical component issues with it, a standalone is not a part you put on a fox with the minimal mods he has expecially when it is not in perfect running order, all a standalone will do is mask the underlying prob and when it's adaptive strategy is maxed or you've added in all the correction factor and it still runs bad, he'll still be at a loss, a standalone is not a solution to his current prob, I have and have run many a foxbody stangs on the eec iv with no issue, the eec iv has a +/- of 12-13 % adaptive strategy correction factor built into it, and that is taken from the oem mapping strategies I have found from an engineering document of the eec iv, I currently have a every bolt on on my 89 you could think off and no issue, his prob lies in either an assembly error on intake or wiring or component issue, only is a standalone recommended when he has the mods to justify it, plus the learning curve of him knowing what all the schaler tables are for and what changes to such are and affect would be above what he has to deal with currently. Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 pm

my buddy came over earlier to check my timing and adjust it accordingly. he has the light and he has done it to his '87 before with no problem. but when he went to check mine he couldnt find any of the numbers or marks or anything?

and i bought dielectric grease to check the 10 pin connectors. gonna work on the car tomorrow. hopefully its not too cold.....
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by mjr46 Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:28 pm

ryan, take a small wire brush and clean around the balancer until you find the marks, years of rust have them covered Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm

thats what i figured Sad

and i did notice, when my buddy was here, antifreeze on the ground underneath my front sway bar..... gonna check that out :/

and my neighbor is a mechanic... i asked him if he would be able to bring his smoke tester home with him for a little bit so i could use it and he said most likely... now if he actually does or not we will see..

oh and what carb cleaner should i get that is available at advanced auto in order to check for leaks
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:08 pm

alright so... today i begun at 9am and ended at 4 :/

lol..

picked up some carb cleaner at advanced and sprayed for leaks.. found a leak around my egr gasket...so took another trip to advanced got another gasket and rtv sealant and put it in. after about an hour of trying to take it off and put it back on i started it back up and sprayed the cleaner around the gasket and the idle did not change... leak fixed.

found another leak at the lower intake bolt that also bolts down the black hard line to the heater. tightened it up and sprayed it again and no idle change. leak fixed.

then i was messing around with the vacuum lines that connect to the TAB and TAD solenoids on the passanger side and broke 3 of them.... so damn fragile. so took a nother trip to advanced and got new vacuum lines and caps. the only two vacuum lines that matter are my red and green ones.

also i took a wire brush and cleaned the crank in search of some timing numbers.... only things i could find on the entier crank were 3 hash marks... two on the side facing the engine one on the side facing the fan. i tried putting my timing back to stock but who knows if i did..... :/

i also bought more bulbs for my CEL but have not yet replaced them as i am sooooo hungry lol

took it for a test drive and my 5th gear still bogs down and has no torque...
RTW0223
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm

well you're getting there...

you adjusting timing with spout out?